The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Auto or manual

leonv

Guest Flat4_ire

:p

Please inform me which one is better in your opinions and why. Obviously you will have had to have driven both to give an honest opinion, and not a educated guess

Cheers

i have driven both, and i went for the manual, i just prefer manual in all cars apart from big cruisers like merc's etc, i like the buzz of ramming through the gears (and please auto guys dont come along and say you have the best of both worlds in auto with the "manual too" cos ya dont!!sports car just gotta be manual IMO..if you like a lot of spiritied driving id say go manual. if ur happy just pottering around etc then ud prob be happy with the auto

I have owned both and not just taken one for a test drive and would say that anyone who dismisses the autobox hasn't driven it long enough. It is definitely the best autobox I have ever driven and suits the car perfectly.

In saying that, after driving my 6 speed for the past few months I am now erring towards prefering that. :)

as a quick summary I think you could say

both are great

auto is excellent for repeatable lauches and probably better suited to dragging

manual is very strong, but some say the changes are agricultural (not me though, change the box oil lol)

manual is possibly more involving and may offer an advantage round the track/bends

manual may have slightly less power loss and of course more ratios, but the auto can be .1s per change quicker apparently (suspect rltc full throttle shifting can close the gap)

I've had my auto a year now and still it's great round the town in traffic, out having a blast you can hold the gears and stuff but it leaves me longing for a manual sometimes. I'm not saying the auto isn't capable it's just my opinion. I like changing gears and always have done.

Guest Flat4_ire

so basically, autos for lard asses who dont like moving their left leg and left arm more than they need to or manuals for real men :D

auto is so smooth it makes for effortless driving, but IMO robs you of a little involvement/enjoyment when you really want to go for it or have a play.

Manual drawbacks are few imo, unless you count 1/4 mile times as a priority or hate the clutch work involved when in traffic. Sticking to a manual will make your search for a car harder and more expensive though.

Having an auto supra is not the set back it may be in other cars, its very well mated to the engine, doesn't change up the second you ease off the throttle. Basically it never annoys me, its just that smidge less involving.

I've got an auto NA and I'd say it suits being an auto, but I also drive a manual TT and auto TT and would take the manual over the auto because I just find it more fun. If I was using the car every day though I'd opt for the auto.

haha when i saw the subject here i thought :sos: !!!

seems everyones more or less wise to not attacking this one. I drove a Tiptronic (semi-auto). Admittedly I never used the thumb shifts cos its a toy, but the box changed seamlessly - and i mean it. i imagine the previous auto box was similar and the differences are measured by a computer. the 98 VVti was first rate - never worried about a clutch and chilled in stop start traffic. only driven manuals a couple of times but i prefer to plant and steer for me life.

its personal choice. one aint better than the other.

Thank you for the response. I am a manual guy but over a period of time seem to find the supra manual described as a difficult ride. Just wanted to confirm there is not any specific reason behind this statement.

It is a lot more "clunky" than most gearboxes and "agricultural" could sometimes be used to describe it but IMHO, you do get used to it quite quickly - providing the right g'box oil is used. :D