The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Pulled Over Doing 145mph!!!!!!

squiffy

yesterday was my lucky day! was running late so had a bit of a heavy foot, i was gunning it down the m27 past fareham when a set of blues appeared behind me....... OH SH*T!!!!

After a long chat with the copper and crapping myself, turns out it had taken him 2 junctions to catch me, as i had come down the sliproad and joined the motorway a bit in front of him but best of all his vasco (in car speed gun thing apparently) was working so couldnt get a reading on me which meant no ticket!

all he could do was caution me, which meant me going from a face of shock to biting my lip and sniggering trying my hardest not to laugh at him!!!

RRRRRRRRRREEEEEEEESSSSSSSSUUUUUUUULLLLLLLLLLTTTTTTTT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Flat4_ire
Im afraid i wouldnt have had any sympathy if his gun had been working. Those are stupid speeds on public roads and you would have deserved the year long ban.:no: :thumbdown:

well its not like it was a back road or anything, nice big road go for it! ;) i wouldnt be doing it cos i was late for work though!!

Dont try and justify 145 mph on a public road because you cant. It's stupid.

True, but can you honestly say that you havent been up to that sort of speed? I'd bet that almost every person on this board has been well over 120.

True, but can you honestly say that you havent been up to that sort of speed? I'd bet that almost every person on this board has been well over 120.

More than likely.

Most of the time I just enjoy the acceleration , but last year I took it up to 160 leptons in one short burst on a very quiet road.

I realised straight away how reckless it was, I felt really bad but it got me thinking.

Never go above 100 leptons now, just a bit of acceleration up to that speed then slow down again. Never any sustained periods of high speed.

well, have to say going 145 on the public highway, is a 'bit' excessive. 120 would seem to be safe max imo. maybe a good example to work that out in fps or metres-per-second, and see the distance covered, its a shocker.

have to look at it the other way, it may be fun, but would there be sympathy if a merc or bmw driver had done it.

not in this case, but i feel also there is to much of this 'me and my mate raced down the d/c' etc.

didn't happen in this case, but how would we all feel if someone doing 145 hit a car we were in or a friend was in. we wouldn't have sympathy. would want them strung up.

this subject comes home seeing about the Supra driver killed in Hove today.

sorry, but just how i feel on this subject.

one final point, i do wish the law would clarify between speeding and dangerous driving, as they are not the same thing. you can speed safely, but can be dangerous driver at 20mph.

Shouldn't this be in the members section??

145 is too high true, but do all the people saying it's reckless really think 70/80 is safe?? If you were to have a blow out at that speed you and everyone around would be in a spot of trouble. Maybe if we are all to be safe we should limit our cars and not drive at anything over 50??

Jammy sod, well done!

Worst I ever heard of was "Black Joe". Living in N.I. he would sometimes travel over the border to Dublin. On his return in his 1000bhp skyline, he was caught outside Drogheda @ 204mph by a roadside speed check. Many miles later the cops (Garda) had the road blocked to stop him. A while later when the cop with the radar gun actually got there he got out shaking ranting and raving at him how he was going to jail and would never drive again. Joe just laughed at him and replied "Your not seriously going to tell a judge that I was doing 204mph?, he will put you in the funny house in a straight jacket, everyone knows these cars are factory limited to 155mph!" with his face screwed up with that "are you wise" look on it.

They had to let him go! Got to be a world record. Did I mention he had two passengers?

This is a difficult subject, Kaori is right to point out the difference between speeding and dangerous driving. Right or wrong I always look at it from the following perspective.

Who is more dangerous, someone doing 40 in a 30 zone but paying complete attention to the road and surroundings, or a person rigidly sticking to 30 by constantly checking the speedo. This is just an example but I would say the 40 driver, as so much can happen in the time it takes to keep flicking your eyes onto your speedo.

I think lack of awareness on the road is just as dangerous as speeding if not more so. When your driving then you should be paying complete attention, this really hacks me off when I see people smoking. How can you ban using a phone, but say it is ok to drive around with a mini fire in your hand? what is the first reaction if you drop the cigarette?

Anyway im not saying that 145 centons is right or wrong as I have done this speed once or twice on a deserted motorway in the early hours of a morning. But I would say that since I became a dad I am much more aware of the speeds I do and I definately take it a lot easier around anywhere where there might be kids, as I wouldnt want people driving around near my son at light speed.

Sorry for the lengthy babble :)

Mark

Ok,

last year I was in court based on a average speed of between 95-105 over a 2 mile period. I got 6 points and a £250 fine. So not sure what you would have got for that speed, probably 9 points and a 12 month Ban with a poss re-test!

Either way lucky lad...........

We each take a risk when we drive, I can get killed by an idiot at 5 mile an hour as easily as over 100. Something can fall from the sky etc, dont pick on the driver, he forgot he was in a speed car doubt he will do it again.

What I kinda find strange is that obviously in Germany you have the autobarn, now it's legal to go any speed you want but just because it's legal it doen't make it any safer, probably more unsafe as more people will be going at a higher speed so doing 120+ here I wouldn't have seen as that bad, only of course if the condtions are safe enough to do so which would be the same in Germany. So it's no different really is it? ok one's legal and one aint but the safety factor hasnt changed.

Germany has a better road safety record than the UK. Autobahns move fast, unless traffic is very heavy the driving lane is often cruising 90 to 100 and the overtaking lane I have seen cruise at 100 to 150 for many miles when not so crowded. There are few accidents, but major when they do happen. Of recent most involve high powered VW and merc vans which are about to have a limit imposed on them by the sound of things. The biggest single factor of autobahn accidents are lack of attention (using phones etc) and not reading the weather conditions, and driving too close.

We must remember that Germans can do this safer than us. Why, well if you want to work on a car you have to study and qualify, no self taught time served workers. If you dont have a certificate in suspension, you dont touch it etc. They also dont repair punctures or use remoulds, and use torque wrenches as often as possible, unlike the UK (cylinder head only chaps).

This is a difficult subject, Kaori is right to point out the difference between speeding and dangerous driving. Right or wrong I always look at it from the following perspective.

Who is more dangerous, someone doing 40 in a 30 zone but paying complete attention to the road and surroundings, or a person rigidly sticking to 30 by constantly checking the speedo. This is just an example but I would say the 40 driver, as so much can happen in the time it takes to keep flicking your eyes onto your speedo.

I think lack of awareness on the road is just as dangerous as speeding if not more so. When your driving then you should be paying complete attention, this really hacks me off when I see people smoking. How can you ban using a phone, but say it is ok to drive around with a mini fire in your hand? what is the first reaction if you drop the cigarette?

Anyway im not saying that 145 centons is right or wrong as I have done this speed once or twice on a deserted motorway in the early hours of a morning. But I would say that since I became a dad I am much more aware of the speeds I do and I definately take it a lot easier around anywhere where there might be kids, as I wouldnt want people driving around near my son at light speed.

Sorry for the lengthy babble :)

Mark

Spot on dude, that's why i hate all these speed cameras. People fixed on their speedos making sure they're not doing more than 30mph, did they see the kid run in front of them, nope! I don't speed in built up areas but i don't keep my eyes fixed on the dials to make sure, i'd rather keep my awareness of what's about.

145 leptons ... jesus, very lucky. I've driven faster but if i got caught i know that i'd be screwed. Only been that fast in the early hours when doing a long distance drive, it's very tempting but a lot of the time you're lucking at going to jail. You're career etc is then seriously screwed :(