The mkiv Supra Owners Club

lovely smell...what is it?

ADD

Guest dropdead

Most likely race fuel, Cam2 or something, I only run Cam2 in my Supra 104 Octane. Smells very nice, wish they made a car interior smell like that instead of "wild cherry" or "new car scent"!!!

Some people who have no concept of what it does to your engine stick some castrol R in their petrol! smells great but gums up the valves and inlet something awful!

Huh? Why would someone think putting oil in their fuel would help aything? What a bizzare idea!

Huh? Why would someone think putting oil in their fuel would help aything? What a bizzare idea!

A lot of people have picked it up from the bike world, castor oil= castrol R was used in racing bikes years ago, and a lot of people stick some in their fuel to get the nice smell (once smelt never forgotten!) i have smelt it in a few cars lately.

It was a smell that was made famous in the early days, when a castor based vegetable oil had greater sheer strength than any others available at the time. The castor seed based oil, when burnt, had a beautiful and distinctive smell. It then became used in 2 stroke engines, again, for it's sheer strength, as a petroil mix. People liked the smell so much they'd add a tablespoonful to their petrol tank. It also acts as a (good) upper cylinder lubricant, but when left standing it goes gummy and blocks things, or sticks things. In VERY small quantities, in carburetted engines, it's no big deal, but I wouldn't use it as an engine oil these days, and not in the fuel of an injected engine. I admit I love the smell, and used to put some in the fuel of various cars over the years for nostalgic reasons :)