The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Replacement engines

Ian C

The guy I sold my MkIII to blew up the big end in a month due to a lack of oil - doh.

The top end is well sorted, with a TRD MHG and 72Ftlbs head bolts, etc. - what's the best option, a bottom end rebuild or a new/recon engine?

-Ian

I think Chris Wilson and Leon normally say to forget it if its the bottom end, replace the engine. API can do reasonable replacement engines, Blueprint ADL can do new engines for mkivs, not sure about mkiiis.

Another option might be to find a scrapper that you can hear running and then get it overhauled by somebody like Leon.

Either way, its not going to be cheap, especially on a car that probably didnt cost more than £2500 when he bought it....

JB

Guest Martin F

Try Fensport for a new engine.

Bought a Jap Spec 7MGTE from them back in February for £585 + vat (must mention club discount) with 3 months warranty.

No problems and very helpful.

Martin

I just phoned Fensport (07000 336 776 if anyone needs it), and they said it depends on the exchange rate, but it's about £700+vat, before the discount.  You do get the whole kit and caboodle, though, including the turbo.  I'll recommend this course of action to my oil-free friend.

Thanks for the help.  Do you know how much discount we get with them?

-Ian

Guest Martin F

From what i remember i got 10% off £650 then plus the vat of course.

Normally our discount is 5% but i bought a few other bits at the same time. It may help the price if you pick it up, not sure how easy that would be for you.

Martin

I just realised, this is mkiii related....

but its not about BHGs so I wont shut it down, just need to remind everybody that this is a mkiv list, if theres a mkiii topic then it might just survive in the chit chat area unless it goes on about blown head gaskets, we all know the mkiii blows them, simple fix is to replace the HG, torque to 79lbs and fit a brand new Toyota rad and not a copy. There, if anybody searches for BHG they will find this advice...

JB

Erk, rumbled :)

I thought it would be OK to put this thread in here, as I was asking for general japanese engine replacements, which would cover the MkIV as well.

But then I worded the question completely wrong so it was far too specific to MkIIIs.  Doh.  Pass me the punishment vauxhall nova....

In an attempt to rectify the situation, have you got contact details for API and ADL?

-Ian

PS and get the head skimmed :biggrin:

just trying to keep the british engine building fraternity pleased by forgetting to mention about the head skim!!

Sounds like Fensport are the best, but ADL are also known as Blueprint ADL, and API are in the back of exchange and mart (and probably all over their web site).

JB

Guest Martin F

You could ask Fensport if he has a 2JZGTE and put that in the MKIII instead!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That would keep everybody happy!!!

Martin

Consider me reprimanded.......... :-)