The mkiv Supra Owners Club

****ing steering wheel

mattanna

Have just tried to change my 3 spoke non airbag steering wheel, has took 4 hours so far have blistered both hands and hurt my back and i cannot get the bastard thing off, even hit spokes downward with rubber mallett as advised but nothing, i have put old wheel back together and am bastard annoyed

any ideas??

Matt

They can be a pig.

I normally leave the bolt on for the last couple of threads so I dont smash my face when it does come off. If you have used WD it should come off if you pull and rockwith your arms at the same time. If that fails get some one to hit a bar down into the end of the column while you pull/rock the wheel. If you have an SDS hammer drill a quick balsh on the column whilst pulling should do the trick.

If not sell the car;)

Guest gzaerojon
I have had no problems undoing the centre bolt, i just cannot pull the wheel off, there are no other bolts to undo are there?

i've never done this before so im no expert, but you have made sure the steering lock is off? ignition on ect?

just a thought ;)

Did mine today took 5 min get/borrow some pulling jaws (not sure the tech name) they are like a big wine bottle opener the armes go beind the metel plate and then you turn the abig skrew that pushes on the centre pulling the wheel off. Unfortunatly my new wheel wasnt but on with the wheels centre so got to adjust it later.

You need to make a little tool.... Itll work perfectly...

You need a L bracket.. one thats about 2-3 inches long when flattened..

Firstly flatten the bracket and get two bolts that fit the screw holes in the wheel. Then drill two holes in the bracket the same width as the holes on the wheel

Then but the bracket over the threaded bit of the rack and screw in both bolts. This will eventually pull the wheel from the spline..

Takes 5 mins to make andll work perfectly everytime..

Just mate sure the bracket is a fairly sturdy one..

Job done :)

Am taking it to a mechanic i know tomorrow he has the strength of a thousand men so should be able to do it with his teeth

c**t of a job though

thanks for all replies, i think part of the problem is that you are siting down therefore the strength in the arms is much required, i also nearly followed through and have two huge blisters on my hands!