The mkiv Supra Owners Club

How much boost?

Phil Wall

Phil, depends what you are after, and where you want to mount it. If you are after one of the 60mm type dials, you will need something like an A Pillar mount to stick it in, otherwise the smaller ones will sit where the clock is at the 'mo.

I've got a nice HKS one in my car, white face, glows green at night. It sits in a pod that you can stick to the top of the instrument binnacle (left or right side) This was perfect for me, as I didnt want to get involved in drilling holes anywhere, or removing the airbag to fit an instrument panel. They do a range of face colours / night illumination. If you want a electro - lumi type dial, APEXi do one.

Eric

The HKS electronic 60mm gauges are rather nice, though a tad expensive. I think Branners may be able to offer a worthwhile reduction.

Problem is mounting the darned things.

I like the idea of the HKS passenger air-bag insert. But it has cut-outs fot the HKS AVCR and AIC. Which is more than a tad presumptive.

As an alternative, I ordered this so-called state of the art carbon-fibre passenger air-bag insert about a year ago that was meant to be the dogs bollox. In the event, I ended up paying £400 for a pile of shit.

So I thought sod it, I'll make my own. The requirement was added to the list of things I need to get around to, and is a bit of a low priority to say the least.  

Talking of boost gauges: I dug out this Elliot 80mm diameter, 3Bar boost gauge the other day that I bought some time ago. Justin saw it and you should have seen his eyes light up. It's so in your face. :)

Would probably look nice in a carbon-fibre pod just stuck right on top of the dash a la 70's style.

Yours,

J

Doh ??

you called??

yep i have the same HKS guage as Eric.   Mine has a dark blue face and glows a different colour (pale blue i think but i can't remember !  it kinda blends in well with the other dashboard ligths though, and really looks rather classy).

I haven't got a digi-pic thing, but i tell you what - if i've got any print film in my camera that's nearly finished,  i'll take a normal pic and get it developed Sat. and then scan it in etc.

bit of a palaver.

Hi Phil

I was out at Goodwood all day Saturday, so didn't get chance to take any pics.

BUT i've found a piccie of an HKS guage that's very similar to mine :

http://www.tdi-plc.com/Technical%20TurboTimer.html

under the section "HKS Guages", there are 6 pictures.  Mine is v.like the blue-faced one in the middle. (but without the little yellow and green LED's).  Also mine has a slightly thinner, silver rim, rather than the thickish white rim you see in the pic.

does this help ?

if i had a digi camera it would be easy ...

Another place to mount the gauge is in one of the drivers air vents... mine is mounted in the left hand one (and it still swivels about a bit) its a good place to have it if you want to your dial at eye level.