The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Paint codes

Ian C

Hello all.  I want a touch-up pen for stonechips et al, and my import soop has a colour code of 3L2.  Halfords don't list a 3L2, only their 'Toyota Super Red' colour, which I already have post-MkIII ownership.  It's far too bright a red, I checked it on a hidden non-faded area.

Where can I get a touch-up pen for 3L2?

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Toyota only do spray cans.  But they will have the colour you want.

The last time I purchased  some for my silver import it  cost about £6, that was for two cans one paint one lacquer. I just spray some in the lid and put the paint  on with a good quality 00 paint brush, much better than those  awful brushes in the pots.

You will probably have to settle for buying half a litre of 3L2 and some hardener. This you can mix in a small quantity (as you require it) using a fine brush in order to apply the paint. Okay, it's more expensive than a touch-up pen but at least it will give you a ready solution.

Yours,

J  

Eric - I thought you were in the states....

Im interested in a touch up paint as well, using the spray can into the lid sounds like a possible way forward. At some point I will get the whole front of the car resprayed and then armourfended, until then its going to have to be patched up.

JB

Hey this is too weird - only a couple of weeks ago i got a Halfords touch-up stone-chip pack with "Toyota Red" but you're damn right it's too bright.

I've got a "colur 3L2" Supra too.     I rang my local Toyota dealer and they said it'll probably be a spray-can jobbie but should have the colour.

Eric did you get your touch-up pen from TW Hawkins ??

and also, have you crashed that 750bhp NASCAR yet ?  If not then get on with it !

;-)

Groovy!  - i'll give em a call tomorrow then.

Picking up my car tomorrow avo after having the corroded wheels all completely re-furbed by Pristine.

- Should make a vast improvement to the appearance.   Only trouble is i'll have to polish the paintwork up now all the time...

ps. Eric - your icon actually LOOKS like you !

Guest Martin F

Toyota Guys in the States supply touch up pens and on their site they have a list of codes to paint names (descriptions).

Take a look at :-

http://www.toyotaguys.com/touchuppaint.html

I am likely to be ordering a couple of bits from these guys in the next couple of weeks, so if you draw a blank email me off list and i'll add it to my order.

Yes i will expect payment!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Martin

Why does everybody stare at my Supe ??

Does the resin approach work with metallic paints?

When you say "resin" approach, Phil, are you saying this in answer to my post about buying a tin of paint and hardener? It's just there were a number of posts inbetween and I wasn't sure.

As for paints generally, you will find the typical touch-up stick contains an acrylic air-drying paint. Or single-pack acrylic, as it is also known. This kind of paint is perfectly okay for touching up small stone chips.

Problem is, if you need to touch-up anything larger than this (repaint a side mirror, say) it is all very tempting to get a can of spray from Toyota and do it yourself. But the finish will never be as durable, nor will it ever look exactly the same (particularly in sunlight). Though some colours are easier than others. Black is notorious for being hard to match and so too is red.

My nephew's car was a fine example of bad paint matching. Someone backed into it and damaged the door. The person's insurance offered to pay the bill so we got it repaired at some bodyshop. The car looked great... until... the sun was shining. Whereupon the repaired door would look dark grey, and the rest of the car looked black. We subsequently discovered the insurance company had tried to knock the price down with the bodyshop and they had cut down on material cost by spraying the door with single-pack acrylic (as opposed to the two-pack they should have used).

There are basically two types of paint systems:

The first is where you simply spray on the paint, flat it off and polish it. This is called an ordinary solid colour, i.e. a non metallic finish. The most common paint used for this purpose is "two-pack acrylic." The reason why it is called two-pack is because you have two tins: one tin contains the actual colour, and the other tin contains a clear-looking hardener. Plus, there are basically two types of hardener: one that will "go off" at normal room temperature after about 15-20 minutes, or one that will stay liquid until it is heated.  

The reason for the latter, is because spraying a whole car takes some time. If a room-temperature hardener were to be used, then the paint would be going off before the job was complete. So the car is painted in what is basically a large oven. Once the paint has been applied, the temperature inside the oven is raised for a time which subsequently hardens the paint.  

The other basic system is where you first spray a coat of colour (called a base-coat) and next you spray a coat of clear laquer. This system is commonly called: clear over base.

The basecoat is a single-pack acrylic, and the actual finish can be either a metallic or a solid colour. In the past this system was only normally used for metallic finishes. But most cars these days are clear-over-base regardless.

The top coat (clear-coat) is a two-pack clear laquer that protects the finish, and is flatted and polished in the same way as an ordinary two-pack solid colour.    

Beyond these basics you get all kinds of weird and wonderful systems, together with a whole cocktail of chemicals, that can produce some brilliant effects. In fact, painting is an absolute art.

In some ways it's very much like welding. In the sense that you are continuously having to make instinctive little changes in what you are doing, as you go. Which is the kind of expertise that can only come from sheer experience.

I knew this car-painter once. He was in his mid-forties and car painting was all he'd ever known. He liked to paint old Rolls-Royces and the like. I'll never forget seeing this car once, looking all shiny and (I thought) freshly polished. I commented saying, "Hey, Seymour, you made a nice job polishing this." He shook his head saying it was "off the gun." Meaning it had just come out of the oven. Absolutely unbelievable.  

Yours,

J

Thanks,

My knowledge of car paint finishes has just increased by 99%.

Your post also explians why I had such trouble painting a large panel on one of my cars a few years ago.

Also how you can get ripped  of in a body shop if you don't know what you get for the cheap quote.

I now konw some of the questions to ask.

Thank you for your kind comments.

I looked into the whole painting issue a couple of years ago. I started out by painting my bonnet when fitting the UK-spec pod.

I thought, "Oh, this painting lark must be a piece of piss." Hmm... in the event it took me 3 months to paint. During which time I had to strip the whole bonnet back to the bare metal 3 times (no joke). Thing is, I bought a proper compressor and spray gun and all the rest of the kit. So I couldn't lose face in front of my wife and my friends... who all thought I had finally flipped. :)  

In the end, I flaming did it. Problem was, I did it so good that the rest of the car looked kinda iffy. So I started painting the wings and the doors. But before I completed it, I took the car off the road in order to design new turbos.

In the past, I've had people slagging me off thinking all I am doing is hiding behind my keyboard spouting off untried and/or untested theories. But virtually everything I do to my MKIV I actually do myself.  

Learning to paint was a VERY steep learning curve which my wife, and all my friends, will *never* forget.

Since then, however, I've come to enjoy laying paint on metal and have developed quite an instinct for it.

Yours,

J

LOL

Fantastic, love the story.

If you have the determination, you can do anything:biggrin:.

Like you ,I am sure I could do it, with the right kit and PLENTY of practise.

Problem is I just don’t have the time:sad:!

Trying to keep for cars and a cart going is enough!

But there is always the future.

Chipsaway do a pretty good job, they match my storm blue no problem.

Theres also a paint company in Bedford that will match ANY paint colour from the last 50 years - match the Storm Blue again with no problem - or Teal as they called it

Dean..

I hope you lot talk the talk......

Coz i.ve just booked chipsaway in to come and get rid of some stone chips on my wing and a 8"long key mark on the drivers door.There coming on tuesday so thats pretty rapid,doing it in the evening at home..-even better- and have quoted £65-85 (jubbly)

Lance..

(go on now chirp up and say ---arhhh i know someone who had it done and BLAH BLAH BLAH)

FYI guys, My local Toyota dealer had a touchup kit in stock, of the correct colour.  It's an exact match, comes with clearcoat and de-rust tool, and cost a whopping £4.95.  Lovely.  It's the brush variety as well, Ash - I guess they do sell them!

I bought a paintbrush to do the work anyway though, much more accurate...