The mkiv Supra Owners Club

One Touch Windows

Phil

I was wondering if converting the passenger window to one-touch operation just requires changing the switch to a latching type the same as the drivers side?

Anyone know or do I have to dismantle my door and swap them to find out.

I just find it a pain if I want to drop or raise the windows that I have to hold the passenger side and just flick the driver side - if it's just the switch then it's an easy upgrade to make the passager side one-touch.

Surprised Toyota didn't do it, every BMW I've had was one-touch all round and on Saab convertibles youe get a single button for all four windows to raise/lower.

I think it was probably sacrificed to the God of cost - if it wasn't safe why would they fit it on any window.

My g/f's 318iS has one touch up and down on both sides - can't have her with a better spec can I?

I was going to get auto closure fitted for 75 quid putting both windows up when the alarm is set.  Anyone get any comments...

I had a Cav V6 before this with autoclosure and can't seem to do without it.  Wor lass keeps leaving the window down!!

The cav had one touch on the passenger side also!

I used to have auto-closure on a Golf GTi and all I found it useful for was trapping the neighbours cat when it climbed in to kip on my parcel shelf.

Other than that, it was more trouble than it was worth. In summer, I often wanted to set the alarm with a crack left open in a rear window but it wouldn't allow it.

You can activate/deactivate auto closure on early 90's BMW's by clicking a dashboard led switch up or down.

The later one's you have to hold the locking button down whilst the windows/sunroof are closing and you can leave them where you wish.

You can also hold the button down when you unlock it to lower all the windows etc.

5 Series E39 Beemers have one touch up and down on every window and the sunroof!

Auto closure - I've got it on my supra and its v.good - total show off stuff. Pull up with the windows down and set the alarms Turbo Timers and set the intellistart. Pull the key out and get out of the car. Start walking away to the amazment of everyone cause the engine is still running - lock the car, windows go up and after a minute or so the engine shuts down.... v. cool.

You can disable the auto closure for hot sunny days when you know your car is secure.

My alarm is a Concept 600 with lots of bells and wistle fitted.

It was fitted with 4 new infinity speakers for about a grand.

That is very pretty!

“It’s no good captain she won’t take any more, the transgrunger has deflombligated!”

How many other bits (technical term) other than the switch, might we be looking at?

Would all said bits, be in the door?

Some guidance is required.

I have to depart for points North of Birmingham in about 10 minutes. "I'm just popping out chaps, I may be gone from some time".

You've got a latching circuit which resets when it sees the high current load of a stalled motor (resistor matrix on another page). A bit of logic to determine which tranny is switched and drives the associated relay above it which in turn connects power to the motor with the appropriate polarity.

I half suspect this circuit and relays may be in the driver's door, under the switch panel. If it is, and you can get another one, the easiest way would probably be to butcher it to fit the passenger side.

I suggest that while I'm travelling pagan-land, you take your door apart and tell me if my suspicions are correct.