The mkiv Supra Owners Club

newbie help!!

Guest Mattylad

Guest Mattylad

Hi guys,

Im new, currently drive a vectra and looking for a new car, deciding wether to get a nice jap car for the weekends,

But as im only 21 the insurance is quite expensive on a TT, so was lookin at a non turbo.... just cos they look mean as fudge!!!!!

Mates have been sayin narr u want the turbo but come on 225bhp standard isnt anything to be shy of is it??

Just wondering what they were like? much to tune them with?? dont want to do too much as insurance will rape me!

Dunno how i will get on with a auto box?? but most of them are arent they? wouldnt prefer manual but if i found a nice one it wouldnt bother me!

Also are they all imports?

Thanks

Matt

:welcome:

Have a look at the FAQ here dude http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=69

The insurance on an NA won't be much different to a TT because they're both imports. A UK Spec (only available as TTs) will most likely be cheaper if you've got a decent driving history.

A lot of people on here like their NAs, a lot end up selling for a TT or doing turbo conversions. Depends what you want from the car. It's not cheap or easy to get more power out of an NA, they do give a decent MPG though.

If you want performance then you most likely will end up selling for a TT. Either that or doing conversion etc.

*waits for abuse from Whitesupraboy2* :D

A lot of people prefer the autobox over the manual, the box on the supra is very good. Personally i could never live with an auto, would miss the clutch pedal etc too much.

Guest Mattylad

Cheers mate,

yeah im only lookin, might just pay the insurance of 2k!!! which i didnt think was 2 bad, im only 21 1 yrs ncb and car will be garaged with a decent alarm,

then i can have a dump valve!! im just lookin at the mo as wouldnt mind a evo 4 / scoob....

i have an auto n/a mate and love it. never had an auto before but seriously doubt whether i'd go for a manual supra now i've had this (yes it's that good!).

as you say 225bhp is still a healthy figure for the majority of cars but as the man above me said, it's possible you'll crave more power out of it after a while.

i've had mine for a year and will probably do a turbo conversion or sell up to buy a TT in another year or so.

the choice my man............is yours :D

(if you want to look good, go for the Supe mate. you will NOT regret it!)

Guest Mattylad

yeah thats what im going for looks,

Like i got a 1.8 modded vec at the min, most things will be quicker than that! lol

would love a aerotop manual!!!! but they seem to be like rocking horse doo doo!!

Just seen a black one for sale in the classifieds on here, if i sell mine quick that will be worth a look i think!!

When I was looking at insurance quotes (a whole month ago!) I found it was £150 cheaper for a TT Aero than a N/A Aero.

Crazy, but I wasn't complaining! I'd assumed the TT would be far more expensive to insure than the standard N/A so wasn't really looking at the TT's. Fell in love with one and thought 'sod it, lets see if the insurance companies laugh at me'!

There was only a barely audible snigger :D