The mkiv Supra Owners Club

beat a megane 225 by a hairs-breadth in a N/A auto

cookci

around 1 mile straight on private land of course and i came out a cars length ahead. We both accelerated from around 40MPH.

Not sure whether im disappointed or happy as i wanted a megane 225 because i thought they were fast (faster than a focus rs??)

do you think it was badly driven?

cars i have had a play with and won in my na manual (dont matter if you win by and inch or a mile winnings winning:p :D )

: leon cupra r

z4

supra na auto

civic type r (really didnt expect to beat it but had a go anyways)

cars i have had i go at with the intension of losing big time lol (just wanted to see what they had)

lambo gaylardo

lambo marcharlago

supra turbo (damn the difference from na to turbo lol)

m3 evo

loads of fun and all give a smile and a nod

Guest Flat4_ire
cars i have had a play with and won in my na manual (dont matter if you win by and inch or a mile winnings winning:p :D )

: leon cupra r

z4

supra na auto

civic type r (really didnt expect to beat it but had a go anyways)

cars i have had i go at with the intension of losing big time lol (just wanted to see what they had)

lambo gaylardo

lambo marcharlago

supra turbo (damn the difference from na to turbo lol)

m3 evo

loads of fun and all give a smile and a nod

the guy in that civic wasnt trying or cudnt drive, wud eat an n/a supra, power to weight ratio on supra n/a's is shocking

Guest Flat4_ire
i had a civic type r and would have to say it would be closer than you think, think the ctr would win but not by far

ive not had a ctr but ive had a 190bhp integra type r and i know for a fact an n/a supra wudnt stick with it anywhere

Civic' specs are about the same as an n/a, they have to have the knackers revved out of them to keep on the power, take a look at this, quite long but interesting:

1998cc dohc 16V i-VTEC four, 200bhp at 7400rpm, 145lb ft at 6500rpm

Transmission: Six-speed manual, front-wheel drive

Performance: 145mph, 6.8sec 0-60mph, 32.8mpg

Look at the figures: that 200bhp doesn't peak until 7400rpm, and the somewhat puny 145lb ft of torque until 6500 rpm. It's brilliant once you get there - but at the price of frantic accelerator action, sticking in gears far lower than feels natural and having to go all out, all the time, to get remotely sporting responses at lower revs and lower speeds.

Take this example scenario: cruising in sixth gear on a fast dual carriageway at around 85mph (not really, officer) an early 1970s P6 Rover loomed in my rearview mirror and flashed its lights. I moved over as soon as I could to let it pass, noted it was the 3500 with one of the ol' Buick V8s (170-oddbhp, though possibly modified), and pulled back out to try and stay with it for a while. Nailing the throttle to the floor, I waited for the Civic to start shifting... and nothing. Zilch. It took a drop down to second gear and tinnitus for the next three days to get any acceleration whatsoever, and by that time, the Rover was long over the horizon. Its aggressive owner was driving like a pillock, but I'd have swapped cars with him right then to feel some of that slow-build torque and proper performance car muscle. Conclusion? The Type-R takes a different technique which won't suit everyone's style, you really have to learn how to get the most out of it, and it's certainly an acquired taste.

Driving a Civic Type-R can ultimately be a frustrating experience. It is one of those cars that sounds fantastic in theory, is initially an absolute blast to drive and has vast reserves of talent - if you can find them in everyday driving. It's less of a long-term real-life prospect, as once the novelty of the engine's characteristics has worn off, the ordinariness of the rest of the package becomes apparent. Nope - they may be less powerful in outright terms, but I'd argue that the similarly priced Ford Focus ST170 and cheaper Renault Clio Sport 182 are both more rewarding to drive and own. Or a £1500-ish P6 Rover 3500...

remember there is no replacement for displacement, type r's torque is shite so according to the above n/a supra is quicker than type r unless Michael Schumacher is driving it, but then he would beat us in a Fiesta 1.1

Matt

Guest dee_rz

they don't have 200 bhp either lol :D 197bhp 200ps :) and bobbystone on here my friend use't to have a supra n/a and i had a ctr, i would say my car was a little faster from 0-130ish not alot in it tbo, remember as someone else said there torque is very low

Guest Flat4_ire
Dont rate the civic type 'r's at all. Had quite afew 'races' with various ones as afew blokes have them at work and they dont keep up on the bends nor the straights. Hell, I even did these in my mk3 astroid.

ctr and itr are amazing in bends and a supra would be left for dead

Guest Flat4_ire
is the CTR the 2 seater targa top one?? if so thought they were 160bhp

dude u are thinkin of the crx delsol, come in 1.5vtec and 1.6vtec sir which are 168bhp, i tink the 1.5vtec are only around 115bhp

apparently every car outhandles a supra ;) even though in reality a quick search on here will find video of supra doing very very well (more often than not beating) the best soobs, evos and the like around the track, that's real evidence... saying a civic type r handles amazing, erm well by that token I reckon my old 1.4 clio should whip you all, 800kgs and chuckable, you don't stand a chance ;)

I got taken out in my mates rx8 the other day, handling wise it's a pretty good car, when traction isn't an issue (like it isn't with most sub 300bhp cars in the dry) it would probably fair well against most cars around the bends, no match for a TT or BPU TT though, not even close...

Guest Flat4_ire
apparently every car outhandles a supra ;) even though in reality a quick search on here will find video of supra doing very very well (more often than not beating) the best soobs, evos and the like around the track, that's real evidence... saying a civic type r handles amazing, erm well by that token I reckon my old 1.4 clio should whip you all, 800kgs and chuckable, you don't stand a chance ;)

on a long bend track yeah, get my old integra type r against my supra tt on a nice back road here the supra wudnt stand a chance, two very diff cars

on a long bend track yeah, get my old integra type r against my supra tt on a nice back road here the supra wudnt stand a chance, two very diff cars

uhuh but then I'll run rings around the civic and the soob in a little caterham, and so on and so forth, if you make the bends tighter and tighter you move the goal posts to suit a different car - but dominating over a very specific type of road / track hardly makes it better / faster does it? Just makes it more limited IMHO and more likely to get shown up proper in any other situation