The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Suspension choice help

Ian W

Which suspension setup should i go for?

as i don't know if i'll be keeping the car that long (may upgrade to a TT) i've chosen not to go for CW's setup. This leaves me with three options that i'm considering.

(A) Eibach springs with my current yellow bilsteins

(B) Tein springs with my current yellow bilsteins

© Tein Super Street coilovers

i seem to have had conflicting reports on all of those mentioned above so am looking for an up to date view on which i should go for?

Thanks in advance :)

eibachs all the way, with your billies,

or if your looking at the group buy i woudl only get the billies and source some eibachs

Why do you dismiss Tein S-Tech springs Mark?

Tein make a choice of soft and medium springs for the Supra, both are lowered, but the soft spec are designed to give give good overall ride quality, the medium are more of a sports setup, so give good performance but at the cost of some ride comfort.

There are a lot of members using the Tein Super Streets in the UK and I've only heard good feedback about the ride comfort and performance.

am inclined to give the Tein setup a go but it's whether i go for the springs or shell out the extra cash and just go for the Super Streets.

anyone else care to venture a comment? (not you Chris, i already know what you'll say! :D)

Why do you dismiss Tein S-Tech springs Mark?.

not all mate, i know nothing about the teins only what i have heard from other members, got mixed reports, was only giving my opinion, i have got eibachs on mine at the mo and love the set up with the koni's and had them before thats the only reason why i am swinging to eibachs, tried and tested i guess

i may one day give teins a go but since my setup is new it wont be in the near future

basically just want to lower the car slightly and 'freshen up' the suspension with it being a thirteen year old car and all.

roads are pretty much poor quality being in britain!! good mixture of straights and twistys though.

I have had super hard apexi - waste of time off track, then kyb shocks kyb spring - again too soft and too low, then just got full set koni and tein s-tech.

I put poly bushes on the front and did the lance w alignment. Very impressed, ride is lower, but very balanced and has the best handling I have driven so far, although I don't have massive experience. IMO normal shocks and normal looking springs are better for rough roads than the coilovers which seem to have very little extension on rough badly sufaced roads...

how do you find the tein springs, mate?

how much did the bushes set you back?

Bushes were bought from MVP, abut 110 for front and back. I planned to do front and back, but only replaced the stabilizer bar on the rear (they wore early on my old sup) and left the top and botton arm rubber to make the back end a little more complient to gard against the dredded non-recoverable oversteer.

On the front I canged them all, with new track rod ends as well and the car is pin sharp - I feel the road through the wheel, and the shoks and springs inspire confidence in the rough roads around here. They are stiff but not unpleasant, good enough for spirited driving, and best of all they never let the car feel like it is falloung out of the sky which coilovers tend to do on very bumpy/up and down roads...

I would still like to try ebach though - everyone rates these too...

i would mate, but i've ruled it out already due to cost. i may upgrade to a TT soon so don't want to 'waste' Chris' suspension on an n/a i may not get full use out of.

it's basically eibach springs, tein springs, or tein coilovers.