The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Help! Crank pulley bolt.

markssupra

Well pi**ed off now. Spent about 3 hours yesterday stripping out everything to get to cambelt. Made up tool to lock crank pulley this morning and then spent another two hours trying to remove the crank bolt.

All I achieved was breaking 2 sockets and a wrench.

Any ideas? I dont want to heat it up because of ruining it. Would 3/4" or 1" drive sockets be stronger, as I was using 1/2".

:drown:

Piece of scaffolding pole or similar over a breaker bar, make sure to cover right to head of breaker bar joint so as you won't break. A good pull and it should crack. I had same prob last month and posted. Once cracked tghe rest takes about 10 minutes. Good luck!

Well pi**ed off now. Spent about 3 hours yesterday stripping out everything to get to cambelt. Made up tool to lock crank pulley this morning and then spent another two hours trying to remove the crank bolt.

All I achieved was breaking 2 sockets and a wrench.

Any ideas? I dont want to heat it up because of ruining it. Would 3/4" or 1" drive sockets be stronger, as I was using 1/2".

:drown:

dont heat it mate. nuff said!

Rob, both sockets broke around the hex end, could have been the 6 foot extension bar i was using :innocent: .

Going to call a local tool hire shop tomorrow and get a stronger socket and wrench.

What ones do you have Martin? I tool i made locked the pulley ok its just getting something strong enough to crack the bolt.

Hired a 3/4" drive ratchet today, crank bolt gave up with that. Got it off straight away.

Crank pulley, and lower cambelt pulley off now. No leaks from front crank seal. :)

All I need to do now is clean everything and nickel plate some of the parts while they are off. Bling on the way.

I can start putting it back together tomorrow. :D