The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Transmission losses

Matt Harwood

I popped over to Rebas tuning today as there was a mini meet and a couple of guys were getting their cars dyno'd

What was interesting was that two virtually identical NA's were being dyno'd. One auto and one manual. Both cars had performance exhausts, one RSR, the other a Blitz Nur. Both cars had stock airboxes, but one had an aftermarket panel filter.

They dyno'd at 162 and 168 rwhp. (The manual being the higher). That's only about 3.5% difference! I was expecting slightly more than that...

Thanks to the guys at Rebas for entertaining us. Very nice guys, and very helpful.

that is suprisingly close, but since bhp varies between the same spec car anyway, it's hard to use that one result as anything more than a rough guestimate, the auto could have been more powerful at the fly...

Also, maybe the loss is non-linear and more noticeable at higher powers. Either way crazy 25% losses are probably only ever invented for pub bragging flywheel figures lol

but, thinking about it, with a supposed 220bhp at the fly, that is around 25% losses! Surely that can't be right, maybe they were both down on power?

From what I've seen of auto NA's on dynos before, I'd say the figures were about right. Although I agree that every engine is different and one can easily be more powerful than another...

Bugger does that mean mine is lower than it should be? I was the manual n/a putting out 168

It's a Dyno-Dynamics rolling road. Personally, I like the figures from these machines as they seem to be more realistic. You can't compare dyno results from different makes of machine.

G-force use Dyno-Dynamics rollers, and I've always found their figures to be quite reliable, so as Bob said, the S2000 would be closer to the 190 mark.

I know people prefer to see higher numbers. Personally, I'd rather quote a lower figure ;)

Nick, it'd be great to see your NA-T on the dyno. Fancy a trip to Medway?

Nick, it'd be great to see your NA-T on the dyno. Fancy a trip to Medway?

I'd love to get it back on the rollers but the clutch is now on it's way out, think I'm going for the RPS 6 puck.... last time I had it on the rollers it gave 283RWHP @ .4bar and that was before all the latest work has been done

I'd love to get it back on the rollers but the clutch is now on it's way out, think I'm going for the RPS 6 puck.... last time I had it on the rollers it gave 283RWHP @ .4bar and that was before all the latest work has been done

Where/what rollers was than on Nick?

Don't talk to me about bloody clutches!:rolleyes:

...They dyno'd at 162 and 168 rwhp. (The manual being the higher). That's only about 3.5% difference! I was expecting slightly more than that....

It's mainly the TC losses with the fluid going around and producing nothing more than extra heat.

But if you think about it, if the difference was (say) 30rwp, then all that extra heat would eventually boil the autobox, wouldn't it? Can you imagine getting rid of the extra heat created by a 20+KW heater in the transmission?;)

There would have to be noisy fans running all the time just to stop the thing from self-destructing after a few minutes idle, wouldn't there?

It's mainly the TC losses with the fluid going around and producing nothing more than extra heat.

But if you think about it, if the difference was (say) 30rwp, then all that extra heat would eventually boil the autobox, wouldn't it? Can you imagine getting rid of the extra heat created by a 20+KW heater in the transmission?;)

There would have to be noisy fans running all the time just to stop the thing from self-destructing after a few minutes idle, wouldn't there?

It's not going to be generating any heat on idle is it, the heat due to losses would be proportional (roughly) to the power put through it, so only at max power. Also, although the TC is probably the worst offender, some of the losses must be shared with the auto box iteslf, not sure what the ratio would be. I'd imagine a good starting point would be to say the auto and manual box are about the same, and the TC adds some additional losses on top (so it's only some fraction hence no boiling up!)

also, the TC is a bit like a huge heatsink / fan isn't it spinning at a fair speed, there is a lot of surface area to get rid of the heat, some probably goes into the geabox and crank too... I wouldn't fancy touching it after a flat out blast though, bet it does reach a fair old temp!!!

It's not going to be generating any heat on idle is it, ...

It is.

That's why you have to press the brake while you are stopped and in "D".

This friction that the brakes have to overcome is roughly the engergy wasted by the TC on idle.

Worth a few bhp.

the heat due to losses would be proportional (roughly) to the power put through it, so only at max power...

It's more like X + Y(Power)

X = idle losses