The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Best mpg to date!

Homer

Pointless info, but thought it worth mentioning.. :D

I had a lot of motorway/A road travel planned in the last week so thought I'd see just how high the mpg could get... Normally I drive pretty much WOT everywhere (aside from warm-up and cool-down!) and get around 15mpg average with a mix of town and WOT motorway runs.

This week I switched to a more conservative driving style: 55-70mph on major roads, using only partial throttle, trying to keep the boost gauge below 0, etc..

In the end I got 655km (407 miles) out of 61 litres of fuel. That works out to 30.5mpg!! Not bad for a 400+bhp BPU car :D

Must admit, that although the journey's could taker twice(!) as long, it was much, much more relaxing. Did have to turn the music up to keep from dropping off though!

If you tried the same I reakon you'd get even better on a single - they won't spool until later in the rev range so you should in theory get better mpg at low rpm - I was rarely over 2.4k. The key is keeping it off boost and gradual acceleration, but doubt you'll be able to do that with a new single fitted :D I know I wouldn't!

Nice, best I've managed on mine is 25mpg.

Mind you I still haven't changed the oxygen sensor (it's been sitting on my bench for months).

I believe that 30mpg must be easily possible in the summer (thin air) on relaxed driving off-boost.

I remember getting nearly 40mpg on a motorway trip up from England. I had to use *shiver* normalish unleaded but it was completely off boost at cruising speed all the way up. So it can be done but once that optimax was back in..... :D

30?? Damn that's good, i'll have to wait and see (pray) the single doesn't knock me down to 10mpg, but i guess the first month or so of driving i'll have a very heavy foot :D

I didnt find much difference, have a look here Figures for stock twins in the first post, then single in post 7.

Speaking of York, when I was coming down south back from TOTB three years ago I managed a bit over 40mpg on the calibra.

Engine was fresh from a rebuild and I was doing around 80 with minimal boost and/or braking and the temps were really hot, so that helped as well.

Aircon was dead, fizzled out exactly when I needed it(Typical vaux:slapped: )

I'd be very pleasantly surpsised if the supra can do the same mpg under similar conditions, considering the worse Cd, wider tyres, extra weight - and extra cylinders of course.

Guest Flat4_ire

i drove from harlow in essex to fishguard which is nearly 5hrs and 290+ miles and i was doin 100mph the whole way pretty much, still had some left in tank ;)