The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Spare Speedo

Phil Wall

I have jut picked up a very clean second hand rev counter/ speedo unit. I need the unit which has mph and kph markings, for trips to Europe as the unit in my car only reads mph.

This evening I tried the unit in the car everything works fine except the speedo which reads far to low.

I have several wires spliced into the speedo feed loom, which obviously were fitted to make my current unit read correct mph.  

Would I be able to solder wires on the back of the speedo to enable it to read correctly or will I have to undo the changes to the loom?

I don’t want to do anything that will upset other speed signals.

Failing that could i swap the speedo dial face.

Any advice would be welcome.

I really want  to be able to use the two units.

[if this thread  could go with Pauls 120mph thread please move it.]

Phil,

You lucky s*d! I want a second hand UK speedo too, as soon as my car arrives. Was it difficult to source? New ones are about £200 but I don't want one *that* badly.

How low is the speedo reading? If it is reading approximately 5/8 of the "true" speed, then it sounds like you have a pulse-train divider (kmh to mph) converter somewhere else in the system already, which will need to be disconnected from the speedo or removed altogether.

This is kind of like the early part of Paul's thread.

I guess the 5/8  of true speed would be about right.

so thanks for that.

Wooo had a dual with another car whilst it was fitted, I thought it was quick ,but not that quick.

If it is 5/8 out we were hitting 140mph+.  It was a TVR:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:  and I was right wth him all the time:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Could not get by though so this won't get  in to kill stories;)

I will have to read the start of Pauls thread more carefull and see if I can create a simple plug and play  connector to enable speedo swaps.

I lke the look of my current MPH only speedo but need KPH for over the water.

(Edited by Phil Wall at 8:55 am on Aug. 21, 2001)

Phil,

Do what I'm doinmg, mod the Speedo, *not* the wiring loom. This of course means restoring the wiring loom back to original and that's where you find out that it's all been fudged and they've probably knackered the output buffer on the odo pulse shaper circuit which is why they were feeding the speed signal line to the ECUs with converter output 2. DOH!

I have a replacement odo coming off a dead Supra for £45.

The UK speedo has a divider built into the actual electronics of the speedo. The speed-signal is exactly the same frequency relative to speed on both cars, Jap and UK.

The difference is in the speedo head and odo.

So anyone fitting a UK speedo (or odo) to a J-spec car must ensure they remove any divider that may have previously been fitted.

Yours,

J

Quote: from Ash on 10:30 am on Aug. 21, 2001[br]

The UK speedo has a divider built into the actual electronics of the speedo. The speed-signal is exactly the same frequency relative to speed on both cars, Jap and UK.

The difference is in the speedo head and odo.

So anyone fitting a UK speedo (or odo) to a J-spec car must ensure they remove any divider that may have previously been fitted.

Yours,

J

and hence modify the Jap speedo, not the wiring loom.

As and when I *do* acquire a uk speedo, I'll just be able to pull the j-spec one and not have to mod the loom *again*.

Wooo had a dual with another car whilst it was fitted, I thought it was quick ,but not that quick.

If it is 5/8 out we were hitting 140mph+.  It was a TVR:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:  and I was right wth him all the time:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Could not get by though so this won't get  in to kill stories;)

What TVR was it? Must have been a Tuscan to beat u!!!