The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Hello from Japan !

Nick

Just started a six month contract in Yokohama, just outside Tokyo.

It's very different to anywhere I've been before, but I'm enjoying it so far. People are very polite, and even more hard working !

Only problem is the Supra's in storage for the summer, but I'll probably be buying some extras for it while I'm here :)

Ahhh, my heart is in Japan - I would love a 6 month contract out there.

Have spent a few weeks working in Tokyo - know what you mean, people, food, culture, cleanliness, wages and everything fantastic - I love the place - I want to go back someday and do a month on the tourist trail - you lucky, lucky person you.

Do take some time out to visit other parts wont you?

Enjoy yourself.

I'm definitely going to be taking some time to see some places. Thought I'd head into Tokyo proper this weekend and have a look around. Need to get settled in first, still living out of a suitcase at the moment.

Got a nice view of the Yokohama Bay Bridge from the hotel, and I've been hearing some nice machinery tearing down the main road late at night :)

None taken :)

Most of my experience is configuring Ericsson 2G networks, but over the past couple of years I've been doing more and more 3G stuff. I've also done some network design, as well as first line support on Nokia 3G.

Ericsson let a *lot* of people go a few years ago, both perm and contractor. Now things are really picking up again and experienced people aren't that easy to find.... Most of the people that jumped on the contracting bandwagon when times were good jacked it in when things got tough in 2001. They always look internally first, so I assume there wasn't anyone available. They've got a new 3G operator which they need to roll out a network for from scratch, and as a consultant they can bring me in for as long as they need me. Believe it or not, I'm probably cheaper than sourcing someone internally anyway. They also wanted someone with a lot of experience on general config and rollouts, not just 3G. And also someone that's used to working in a different culture.

Congrats on the work front Nick, what a great place to spend six months. Have you been down to the bay area yet?

I'll be popping over in the next two weeks to hand over a rather shiny rock to the wifey. I doubt there's enough time to cross paths though. I'll be round the corner in Kanagawa, soiling myself getting her parents' blessings, so spare a thought for a fellow member... :scare: :D

Enjoy yourself dude. Lots to see, people to do. :D Do check out the largest department store in the WORLD round the corner from Yokohama station.

I'm planning on taking some pictures this weekend when I get a chance to explore a bit, been a touch busy at work trying to make a good impression :)

I've only been here a few days and literally went from Narita airport to the hotel, to work. I'm working in one of the offices directly opposite Shin-Yokohama station, and staying in the Prince Hotel 5 minutes up the road.

Any recommendations for things worth seeing, as well as good bars are welcome :) It's not exactly cheap here, but needs to be done !

TDRAPER - Got to take the rough with the smooth, I spent 6 months in Slough ;) When you get a nice contract in a great place it makes it all worth while....

I'm planning on taking some pictures this weekend when I get a chance to explore a bit, been a touch busy at work trying to make a good impression :)

I've only been here a few days and literally went from Narita airport to the hotel, to work. I'm working in one of the offices directly opposite Shin-Yokohama station, and staying in the Prince Hotel 5 minutes up the road.

Any recommendations for things worth seeing, as well as good bars are welcome :) It's not exactly cheap here, but needs to be done !

TDRAPER - Got to take the rough with the smooth, I spent 6 months in Slough ;) When you get a nice contract in a great place it makes it all worth while....

Prince hotels are good, its where I always stay.

I'd venture into Tokyo, go to Akihabara for cheap electronics/gadgets. Car parts places are widely scattered around, Super Autobacs is worth a visit.

I've got a friend in Yokohama that I'll ask about pubs and restaurants local to you!

Gaz.

None taken

Most of my experience is configuring Ericsson 2G networks, but over the past couple of years I've been doing more and more 3G stuff. I've also done some network design, as well as first line support on Nokia 3G.

Ericsson let a *lot* of people go a few years ago, both perm and contractor. Now things are really picking up again and experienced people aren't that easy to find.... Most of the people that jumped on the contracting bandwagon when times were good jacked it in when things got tough in 2001. They always look internally first, so I assume there wasn't anyone available. They've got a new 3G operator which they need to roll out a network for from scratch, and as a consultant they can bring me in for as long as they need me. Believe it or not, I'm probably cheaper than sourcing someone internally anyway. They also wanted someone with a lot of experience on general config and rollouts, not just 3G. And also someone that's used to working in a different culture.

Nice! It must be great to be in demand like that. Good luck to you.

You absolutely must go to Tsukiji for the Fish Market. It's the largest in the world. Also, there are some excellent sushi bars nearby. The fish is so fresh, it almost doesn't have a fish taste at all. Great knives can be purchased there as well. Have you been to any of the shrines or Tokyo tower yet? Take yourself down to Ropponggi for the best night life. Man, I miss Japan.

Nick I can thoroughly recommend Ocean City in Tokyo - cracking little micro brewery in there that sells top beer and a fab noodle bar as you enter from the main drag.

If you get time there are a couple of good English bars in the city worth a visit - should you need a pint from back home.

Try the cocktail lounge at the New Otani Hotel - it's worth a visit if nothing else.

Any of the traditional Japanese food restaurants are definitely worth a visit - good one at the Hotel next to Ocean City.

If you are able to sniff it out there is a Japanese stick food restaurant in an office block next to the Mitsukoshi dept store - now that's worth a visit.

Blimey I could go on for hours.

Oh, yeah, dont forget Disney Land and the indoor ski centre.

Just take in the sites and enjoy yourself.

And please ask why Narita is known as Tokyo airport - its bleedin miles away!!

hav fun.

Because Breda is just like Slough too ? right ? :tongue:

Have a Great time Nick!

Do we know of anyone who has taken their soop back home to the birth/build place and had it modded there ? in Japan ? ;)

That's true Peter, Breda was great, but Saudi wasn't ! I was supposed to go back but decided not to after the compound I was going to be staying on was blown up.

Thanks for the info guys, got plenty to be going on with :) I've heard a lot of things about Ropponggi, got to pay that place a visit... Ocean City sounds good too.

Yeah the airport is a fair way out, reminds of Ryan air badging Skavasta airport as Stockholm, when it's 1.5hours away by bus !

Seen a couple of Supras, Skylines and RX-7's as well as some very odd cars. Bringing the Supe back here would be interesting....Hell of a drive to ChrisW's though!! ;)