The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Car performance, seems to vary?

chilli

Do you find that on some days your car sometimes goes much better than others?

Took a mate out from work in it today, whilst still pulling 1.2bar the car seemed a bit slower than normal. Somehow convinced myself it was the optimax I put in rather than the 99 ron which I've been using for a while. I realise that must be rubbish though, maybe it was warmer today, or my just my imagination lol?

Anyway, he is an RX8 owner and I think he was suprised / impressed by bpu power levels... :D I'll get his considered opinion tomorrow after he's thought about it.

Guest fastgrandad

my 1.4 zetec fiesta , is faster in winter , giving it an eye watering time of 14.5 seconds to reach the 60 mph from a stand still , i think its my dual control pedals that slow me down a tiny bit ! ;)

Maybe your mate was a bit on the lardy side? :D

:rlol: well he may have had a large lunch, I forgot to ask that

hmmm not happy about these ambient temps lol, loved the performance with nice cool air (shame about traction though). Hmmm so now I need a better intercooler then to restore things? maybe some cold air ducting too... bugger, never thought I'd miss the winter months...

:rlol: well he may have had a large lunch, I forgot to ask that

hmmm not happy about these ambient temps lol, loved the performance with nice cool air (shame about traction though). Hmmm so now I need a better intercooler then to restore things? maybe some cold air ducting too... bugger, never thought I'd miss the winter months...

i dont think any amount of intercooling could replicate an outside air temp of 0 or even minus air temps, think about how cold that is when you figure in wind chill at 70 mph, a good intercooler will make a difference though as will isolating the filter from the engine bay but cant replicate arctic air:(

fair point, I guess every little helps, I won't mention it tomorrow because it will sound like I'm making excuses, but I was almost dissapointed lol - is this the slippery slope to a single? lol - nah it was ok, guess I just need to accept the slight loss of performance but increased grip should compensate in some other ways, must be a lot safer with slightly less power and more grip! :)

guess I just need to accept the slight loss of performance but increased grip should compensate in some other ways

yep swings and roundabouts mate, i'me afraid its a forced induction problem, dont worry the memory of the winter months performance will fade and you'll be back to thinking the cars quick as ever :)

lol yeah maybe my expectations have just been raised too far by the cold weather. I was begining to wonder why on earth anyone would need more than bpu power levels on the road, now I'm just about seeing it again, although only just... hmmm wonders, so how much is water injection then? TBH I think I'll fit a new intercooler and sort out some cold air to the filter and see how it runs, like you say, after a few weeks hopfully I'll have adjusted to it anyway