The mkiv Supra Owners Club

G'dam Hose Pipe Ban

pistonbroke

This pisses me off almost as much as a petrol strike, getting ready to go to bluewater tonight so the car cleaning commenced earlier, I knew the hose pipe ban was on so I used my bucket and filled it up about 10 times to clean my car, didn't stop my elderly neighbours coming out and giving their 2ps worth, " you do realise theres a hose pipe ban don't you", they say, "do you see a hose pipe madam"? I replied, I swear I used more water using just buckets than I would do normally with a hose.

Thing is, I really enjoy methodically cleaning my car once a week for about 4 hours a time, then cruising about with that new car feeling when it looks super shiney.

Am I alone in this or do you lot feel the same?

I've never understood why you need more than three buckets of water to wash your car.

Fill one with your foam

Another with cold water for the shammy

Fill a large watering can

Use watering can to dampen stubben areas.

Cycle washing the car with the soapy bucket and wash off with the watering can so you don't get caught out with streaks from drying.

Shammy off.

Do the wheels with what's left of soapy water, use water left in the shammy bucket to top up the watering can if needs be.

This is how I've always done it. (Except for salty winter roads of course!)

Yeah, poxy hosepipe ban pisses me off too :(

You're right, pistonbroke, it wastes more water poncing around with buckets than a good rinsing with the hose.

If the water companies fixed all the broken pipes, so the water didn't piss away into the ground, there wouldn't be any need for a bloody hosepipe ban.

Personally I can't wait for them to install water meters, then I can waste as much as I want to pay for ;)

Yeah, poxy hosepipe ban pisses me off too :(

You're right, pistonbroke, it wastes more water poncing around with buckets than a good rinsing with the hose.

If the water companies fixed all the broken pipes, so the water didn't piss away into the ground, there wouldn't be any need for a bloody hosepipe ban.

Personally I can't wait for them to install water meters, then I can waste as much as I want to pay for ;)

Wasn't there a story about an area that implemented a hosepipe ban taking week/months to fix a leak that wasted thousands of gallons of water?

apparently its ok to wash the car with used bath water.........errrrrrrrr no. Id rather wash my self with used car wash water.....:rolleyes: ther aint no way filthy waters going any where near it.

ill have to park the car on a plastic tray to collect the run off if it gets bad uphere.:blink:

Just up the road form me in kensington, there was a huge leak the other weak, they lost about 300,000 gallons of water in 6 hours, took them 2 hours to get there. I'll use my hose pipe and if i hear a word from the neighbours i'll soak them.

Just up the road form me in kensington, there was a huge leak the other weak, they lost about 300,000 gallons of water in 6 hours, took them 2 hours to get there. I'll use my hose pipe and if i hear a word from the neighbours i'll soak them.

:thumbs: :rlol:

The irony is, is that you're allowed to use a hosepipe to fill your bucket/watering can/water butt/swimming pool whilst Tames water lose over 8 million litres of water a day through leaks.

However, its a small price to pay, because I remember the drought of 1976 and having to queue up in the street at standpipes to get water, and I for one wouldn't want to get back to that.

And I'm afraid, despite the huge losses that the water companies incur through wastage, you can't blame them for the lack of rainfall. I can't remember a winter that has been as dry as it has in the South.

To get water levels back up it has to rain for something like the next 3 months solid.

Ah well dry winter, what's the bets it pisses down all summer!:D

Hold on... hold on....

Now I don't know about you blokes, but when I wash my car, the water runs off the car, down the driveway, along the gutter and down the drain. So effectively it's being almost immediately returned to Thames Water.

What happens to the water we all use that goes down the drain? I thought it was cleaned and filtered and all that gizz, and we got it back again. Don't they say that the water you drink in london has probably already been through a number of people?

Once the water is "in the system" it's down to the water board as to where it goes. The only time when the water is taken out of "the system" is when people pour it on their gardens. So I say ban gardens.

Yeah the ban pisses me right off to! but i won't get started, suffice to say i have a mate who works for the water board, so i know some of the ins and outs;) but he's a supporter of the ban and we always end up having the same discussion/row! anyway if the government hadn't sold off the bloody water companies we wouldn't be in this mess! you don't see countries like Spain suffering from the crap we have to put up with! and they get far less rainfall! gets off soapbox:innocent: