The mkiv Supra Owners Club

VVT-i : Fuel Cut

Nick

Does anyone know where I can get a Blitz FCD for the MKIV VVT-i?  

Racelogic quote a lead time of 6 weeks so obviously I'd rather buy one elsewhere.

I'm on my second TRL VFCC but this hasn't cured the problem.  I thought the first unit was faulty or that I had a duff earth but it seems that the VVT-i handles fuel cut differently.  Racelogic confirmed this today, they tell me Blitz make a unit specifically for the VVT-i.

SVS can supply a Greddy unit within ten days but they don't quote a VVT-i specific unit and I don't want to take the chance of it not working.

Thanks.

I've got an F-CON5, GCC and harness sitting on the shelf if you know anyone that wants them.  Taking the AVC-R out tomorrow as well.

Pete and I have discussed my fuel cut problem and we're both baffled as to why it doesn't work.  The VVT-i ECU must be checking something else as well because the VFCC doesn't work on any setting.

I don't think the HKS FCD will work, are you able to ask HKS Europe??  I'm willing to try one providing I can have my money back if it doesn't...

Cheers,

Nick

Hi Nick,

Im sure I can find a home for your spare parts for a fair

price , contact me direct on [email protected]

(especially the AVCR)

Im not convinced the HKS FCD will work either, I will try

and speak to HKS asap, I will also speak to my man

in the US who knows everything possible about tuning

supras.

Sorry to hear about your problems, must be very frustrating.

8(

I had a similar problem of not going over 15 psi even with Pete's FCD fitted.

After much head scratching and a visit to Pete it turned out to be the Spark Plugs breaking down, they would get to 15psi but then misfire and go no higher.

Changed for a set of NGK R plugs (Thanks Justin!) and went straight round to 19psi!

Do you know what plugs you have?

We thought it could be the plugs as well so they were changed, good job too as they were knackered.  ChrisW supplied a set of NGK Racing (R7234-8) but I still hit fuel cut at 1.2bar.

The Blitz ECU is an option but a rather expensive one.  I've spoken to Racelogic about the ECU before thinking I could use it with larger turbos, injectors etc as they say it can be re-mapped.  It can't handle major mods, only minor ones.  If I bought it the car would only be able to run BPU.  

I keep saying this so maybe ADMIN can put it up on the MKIV home page somewhere..............

Any MKIV running higher than stock boost should run 1-grade colder plugs GAPPED TO 0.85mm.

Otherwise you run the risk of encountering high-boost misfire. It doesn't happen with all cars under all circumstances. But it's happened to me EVEN WITH HKS PLUGS FITTED. It also happened to Justin.  

In my case it was only when the HKS plugs were gapped to 0.85mm that the misfire went away. In Justin's case he gapped the plugs to 0.85mm following my advice upon fitting. His misfire went away also.  

As regards plugs, if you are feeling quite flush and want to buy Nippon Denso plugs with pretty little HKS logos on them they are available for about £15 each. If you are not so loaded, you can get basically the same thing from NGK for around £15 a set of six.

Yours,

J