The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Induction Kit & Heat Shield Temps!

Tricky-Ricky

Since my car came with an induction kit, and seeing the pathetic heat shield, i made a more enclosed version to try and keep the worst of it away! well now i have some spare thermocouples sitting under the bonnet waiting to be placed i thought i would stick one next to the air filter, and was supprised to see that the temp only went 10c lower than the rest of the engine bay at speeds of 80-100!:( the rest of the time it was only 4-5c below! so i think i will have to find a way of getting more cold air into it! far cry from my s14, i had the same sort of set-up and could get induction temps down to near ambient!

Another thing i have noticed is that the Supra could do with a decent oil cooler! as my temps on boost were 103- 112c:(

A few thing from personal experience...

When I first bought the car I had an ARC airbox (supposedly one the best - £300+!) with a worn out filter. I swapped this for an Apexi soon after.

After hearing about the heat soak problems with aftermarket filters, I built a custom airbox for my Apexi which almost completely enclosed the filter from the rest of the engine. As with any shield system it did not have any cold air feed. It was slightly better behaved in heavy traffic but made no difference once the car was above 30mph.

Next I ditched the Apexi and went to a stock airbox and filter. This made a huge improvement in response and smoothness in traffic, but also felt smoother when cruising at 20-30mph.

Above 30mph, there was no difference at all between any of them.

Not the first time this has cropped up

Myself and JohnK are sort of obsessed with this issue.

First thing I did when buying the supe was re-install the stock airbox.:D

Interesting read John, "The Supra is a challenge though, looks like someone in Toyota needs a slap." LOL

the most worrying point for me is your comment about your water injection not making much difference on boost:( as i was hoping for similar results to my s14!

it seems that the Supras biggest problem is heat soak due to having so much crammed into the engine bay, and the only way around this that i can see is getting more air flow through it!

i think i may try and introduce another air intake into the air filter area before i resort to a std air box, is there a place to get a thermocouple into the plenum without removing and drill and tap? or should i settle for just before the throttle?

...it seems that the Supras biggest problem is heat soak due to having so much crammed into the engine bay, and the only way around this that i can see is getting more air flow through it!...

I'm still not sure 100% that the underbonnet temps are not a 'design feature'.

They have gone out of their way to keep the intake manifold warm for atomisation purposes.

It may be hiding poor airflow equalisation at the runners, I won't know until I've got it out and flow-tested.

They've also done other things that don't make sense, look at my old 'fundamental flaw' thread and see if you come up with anything.

A bonnet vent right behind the radiators (a-la-EVO) should help a lot I'd think.

Not had a look yet, but i think you are right about the intake, same size/shape runners and equal plenum are not going to do much for flow, but then there's little room for anything better, as for vent, i think behind the rad would help, but the heat generated by such a large/long engine also needs a way out for the hot air, but a vent further back may not work as it encroaches on the pressure change area in front of the screen,

have you removed the bonnet lining? and does it make any difference? may achieve the opposite in strong sun though.

Also been trying to find info on oil temps, but not turned up anything in a search!

Guest Terry S
yes.

NOT like what Dude had done, that would upset flow in there and who knows what the end result would be.

LOL my approach towards performance is a bit more subtle than Dudes, cant argue with how fast he was though!