The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Miami GT - Brighten up my dash

cainhead

dude, its really simple to fit them. The dash comes off easily, and the only fiddley bits are getting the last part of the dial over the needle.

cheers for all the comments guys, it was suprisingly easy to paint. Only hard part was getting the rubber surface off. Soar thumbs for a few days.:thumbs:

dude, its really simple to fit them. The dash comes off easily, and the only fiddley bits are getting the last part of the dial over the needle.

cheers for all the comments guys, it was suprisingly easy to paint. Only hard part was getting the rubber surface off. Soar thumbs for a few days.:thumbs:

Did you spray the dash yourself? If so what did you use and how did you do it, as I need to spray mine?

:D In answer to the dial question, they were very easy to fit. When they arrive they come with an A4 piece of paper with simple instructions. They slide straight on over your old ones. Just getting over the needles is the tricky part. But at least you do not have to take them off.

There are many threads on here about how to spray the dash, but heres a quick how I did it.

- Removed all parts to paint from car, and take out all heaters and switches. Mask up what needs to be covered i.e switches, lighter auxillary lights panels

- Used 3m scotch guard and little paint thinner(being careful not to melt plastic) to get off rubber surface. This is the hard part btw as you must get every tiny bit off. My thumbs were killing me after.

- Sand down with a very fine wet and dry, then make sure surface is clean using soapy water. Make sure its completely dry. Prime with Halfords white primer( use clear if not planning on spraying a white dash - £7 ish), do three coats in 20 min intervals. Leave to dry for 24hr

- Sand again but this time use lots of water on the wet n dry rubbing very lightly(your only trying to take off the rough bitson the surface). Again make sure its clean and then dry. Using your main colour (i used halfords white basecoat spray £7ish), again do three coats in 20 mins intervals, but make sure your not concentrating on one area, as it will run. But do make sure to get all the way round and underneath to the parts that are always visible. If you need more coats, then do more it does not matter. Then leave for at least 24hr.

- Sand again with very fine wet and dry and looooads of water, again lightly.(after you have put the base coat on it feels rough, thats why you are sanding it). Then again make sure its clean and dry. Then using halfords clear laquer(£7ish), do three coats again allowing around 20 min intervals.

Leave for 24 hr, and there we go.

This is only how I did it, so sorry if people have used other methods and do not agree with this. Also, you may need more cans of spray then I have put down, depending on the area you are spraying.

Happy DIY'ing:d

I wouldn't recommend using paint thinner on the dash panels, as it will melt the plastic.

Use meths, this will soften the rubber coating without melting the plastic, making it easy to scrape off the coating with a knife or scraper.