The mkiv Supra Owners Club

ECU Upgrades

Guest Terry S

Guest Terry S

I am seriously thinking of upgrading the ECU on my JZA80 to allow me to run larger injectors safely. The car is a J Spec so I can't use an HKS VPC & after a friends experience with an F-Con V I don't want to go down that route really.

I have spent the last 2 days scanning web sites & their are various aftermarket ECU's including those with a hand held display unit to let you alter settings at will. None of these units are specific to the Supra, but most manufacturers have come back to state their unit will work with the Supra, but as they do not sell a loom for the Supe it means a rewire!

The cost of some is not too bad compared to a Motec, but I would really appreciate some advice before plunging head first into an abyss.

Guest Terry S

Alex, I already have an SAFC but this won't work with 700cc as the AFC will only trim down so far ( I can't remeber if it's 30% or 50%). The impedence of the J Spec & the larger injectors are different as well.

If only it were that easy!

Doesn't answer your question in anyway but have you looked at these the Autotune option seems interesting and may be a way of getting a basic fuel/ign map in?

http://www.turbofast.com.au/autronic/sm2ecu.html

seems to be used by a few race teams on EVOs in OZ.

Another option

http://force-efi.com/dfi.htm

http://www.howtogofast.com/pr/mrgasket/accel/74063.htm

May not be useful haven't read all the stuff on it

http://www.sdsefi.com/specific.html

The EVO boys tend to swear by the GEMS ECU. What GEMS do is fit their ECU board into the stock EVO ECU housing. So it uses all the stock sensors and wiring. Not sure if there is the same thing available for the MKIV.

If not, that may *still* be the way forward. As you may be able to source the PCB only, and install into the MKIV ECU box. Which would be brilliant. GEMS unit is lap-top programmable.  

The advantage of the Motec is that it can be used with all the stock sensors left in place. Believe me, that makes it all MUCH easier (and therefore cheaper) to install. Hence the GEMS reco. That way you are not having to run fresh wires all around the engine. It's a simple cut off the old ECU plug, identify which wires are which, and attach them to the new ECU plug. In which case, that side of things, should only be a couple-of-day job. With perhaps a day, initially, to familiarise oneself with all the bits.    

Not sure on programming time. A base map could be easily worked out to get the motor running. Then it's a case of hooking up data-logging stuff and driving it. What I was thinking with mine, when I come to set it up, was sort a base map which gets the car driveable. Then hook-up the data-logger and go on one of these track days where you have an open pit lane. That way you have the freedom to stretch to testing the car at its upper limits without fear of being nicked.    

Perhaps the simplest ECU available is the SDS unit (Simple Digital Systems). But then you have to mess about fitting sensors to the crank and wondering if knock sensors are going to work, and so forth.

Is you car an auto or a manual?

On a manual car, an ECU swap is not really the abyss that it seems. It's all pretty much straightforward. Setting up and programming is a breeze PROVIDED you have the all right data-logging equipment and the know-how.

Some people recommend the car is set up on a dyno. But I regard that as a waste of time. Because even if you do get a base map set up on a dyno (something which can virtually be done in one's head) you STILL have to tweak it to account for real world conditions.  

Yours,

J