The mkiv Supra Owners Club

diesel engine help

super_supra

my girlfriend has a very old bedford cf horse box, never normaly have a problem starting it but today it just will not start, the glow plug light comes on but when you turn the key it just keeps turning over and over i ve tryed priming the pump/filter with the handpump thing didn't make any diffrence.

The only thing i can think is the glow plugs are knackered anybody any other ideas what it could be or how i test glow plugs?

on my brothers pug diesel i got air in the fuel system changing the fuel filter and it wouldn't start. A friend of the family who's knows his diesels (plant and cars) came over and basically we slackened off (in turn) any of the joints between the filter and the injectors. Basically slackened off, turned engine over until it over flowed, tighten join, engine off, next joint until you get to the injectors......it then fired up and has been fine since.....

As you haven't touched the filter, i'd say slacken off a injector and crank it to check for flow, and repeat for the others. Will rule out the fuel side of things.................

just reread your post, does the glow light go out? or does that not normally happen with this vehicle?

on my brothers pug diesel i got air in the fuel system changing the fuel filter and it wouldn't start. A friend of the family who's knows his diesels (plant and cars) came over and basically we slackened off (in turn) any of the joints between the filter and the injectors. Basically slackened off, turned engine over until it over flowed, tighten join, engine off, next joint until you get to the injectors......it then fired up and has been fine since.....

As you haven't touched the filter, i'd say slacken off a injector and crank it to check for flow, and repeat for the others. Will rule out the fuel side of things.................

just reread your post, does the glow light go out? or does that not normally happen with this vehicle?

no glow plugs are on a push button you keep your finger down for 20seconds then try and start it.

i ll try slackening off the injector pipes to bleed them tomorrow thanks for the sugestion.

its more than likely you have two or more glow plugs failed. you will have to remove the wiring feed to the glow plugs (buzz bar) then connect a wire to your battery positive and touch the other end on the glow plug tip were the feed wire normally screw onto if the glow plug is working then you will get a current flash as the glow plug draws current if you have no flash then that plug is at fault. hope that makes sense.

Diesels suffer from water in the fuel especially if parked up without full tank,in the engine bay you should find a drain plug usually on the bottom of the fuel filter,drain this first.they can also get air in the fuel lines so next up is to bleed them.glow plugs as previously mentioned also some have a glow plug relay/timer.hopefully not the fuel pump/distributer as they can shear the drive in them cos of dirt in fuel and no one ever changing the fuel filter'

Try pushing the button for the glowplugs and get a few mates to give you a push start.

If it starts and runs okay then you have one or more bad glowplugs.

I had the same problem with the van a few years ago.

If you need to replace them, then get some from your local dealer or get some Bosch ones. Don't get any cheap ones as they don't last at all. :)