The mkiv Supra Owners Club

c/f bonnets

jazz1

CF prefers to lie flat, so when you try to lay it up over a bend or into an awkward space it will 'fight you'. Therefore in some cases you add a layer of glass to help keep the CF in place, otherwise you get air bubbles in the resin where the CF lifts from the moulds surface.

Alot of the inner frames on CF bonnets/boots will also be made from glass fibre.

I remember having a poke around a couple of so called "carbon fibre" bonnet's at I believe it was JAE 2004. When the bloke from the stall came over and I started questioning why it was just a top ply of carbon over a FRP bonnet he got well punchy.

Angaroak, I don't know what method you use of laminating and curing, but if it's done properly, then you should be able to lay-up with no bubbles or dry weave.

To be honest, if I were looking at carbon bonnet's I'd probably want something that was maybe 8-10mm thick solid crabon with little or no under-structure. You could use some real heavy tooling carbon and then use some nice stuff on the top ply. Vac'd down and 'claved it should come out good.

If I were to go for a carbon rear structure, I would do it as a two part, and then bond the rear structure on with some decent 3M epoxy. Probably the easiest route. Still expensive in the scale of things compared to laminating onto a FRP bonnet though. LOL

I remember having a poke around a couple of so called "carbon fibre" bonnet's at I believe it was JAE 2004. When the bloke from the stall came over and I started questioning why it was just a top ply of carbon over a FRP bonnet he got well punchy.

Angaroak, I don't know what method you use of laminating and curing, but if it's done properly, then you should be able to lay-up with no bubbles or dry weave.

To be honest, if I were looking at carbon bonnet's I'd probably want something that was maybe 8-10mm thick solid crabon with little or no under-structure. You could use some real heavy tooling carbon and then use some nice stuff on the top ply. Vac'd down and 'claved it should come out good.

If I were to go for a carbon rear structure, I would do it as a two part, and then bond the rear structure on with some decent 3M epoxy. Probably the easiest route. Still expensive in the scale of things compared to laminating onto a FRP bonnet though. LOL

Modellista have done a new one which I understand will be very this mate

The problem is that it will retail at over twice the price of a Seibon!

Angarak, I don't know what method you use of laminating and curing, but if it's done properly, then you should be able to lay-up with no bubbles or dry weave.

We use wet layup, no vacuum forming at the moment.

Im not saying you always need glass to keep carbon inplace, just that in some instances it is needed (atleast with wet layup, such as getting CF to sit in a 90 degree angle)...shouldnt be an issue with vacuum formed composites.