The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Burnouts - Why can't I do them??????

Justin

Not because I'm a chavvy lout but I need to for warming up my drag tyres at Santa Pod etc. I have tried a few times on quiet roads but haven't been able to do one.

I have ordered a line lock kit but not fitted it yet. I have however seen people burnout fine in autos without line locks.

Don't get it:(

I have a 3800 hi stall TC and over 500bhp (dynoed)

When I floor the throttle from a stand still the engine just revs up then drops right back down then up then down and the wheels don't move (this is without any brakes). Is that normal?

If I'm rolling first then I can manage to spin the wheels a bit but veer off out of control towards the hedge :D

Any tips for a 5 second burnout from standing in an auto?

Justin i find the best and easiest is to hold the brake down (Not all the way) and gentle apply some accelaration until your moving forward slowly then at the same time more accelerator and the brake to the floor.

Ta James. Will try that.;)

If its factory trac can't it still cut in unless you remove the trac fuse???

Hmmm dunno? I usually race with the fuse out so will try doing the 'road test' that way too. Good point though DB. Might buy a trac removal jobby too as with a hi stall it is a case of all or nothing really.

Yup done that Ian. Dyou just floor it straight off?

Nope I put foot on brake lightly then gradually increase the throttle once the wheels start to spin I increase the revs at a more rapid rate. Don't know if this makes a difference but I have a LSD

Traction control off, and boot to the floor for a couple of secs does it for me, aint exactly hard.

Well it is in my car otherwise I wouldn't be posting. As I said without brakes with trac off and flooring it the revs just hop up and down without any impulsion from the drive axle.

sounds like what happend to my tc could it be faulty? my old 3800 used to do that.to do burnout with no line lock turn off stock tc and racelogic.i pulled the trac fuse in fuse box next to battery.

hold foot on front brake,put into first and start reving car till it starts doing a burnout then move into second should do a burnout easy.

but to be honest sounds like faulty tc?

with line lock hold front brake put in 1st rev slowly then press line lock button and take foot off front brake and keeping line lock button in will hold car on spot.then release button and drive out of water box.

sounds like what happend to my tc could it be faulty? my old 3800 used to do that.to do burnout with no line lock turn off stock tc and racelogic.i pulled the trac fuse in fuse box next to battery.

hold foot on front brake,put into first and start reving car till it starts doing a burnout then move into second should do a burnout easy.

but to be honest sounds like faulty tc?

with line lock hold front brake put in 1st rev slowly then press line lock button and take foot off front brake and keeping line lock button in will hold car on spot.then release button and drive out of water box.

That was another reason for posting. I was concerned something was not right hardware wise. What exactly was the fault with your TC Mark? Didn't have a shard of loose metal in it or something? Could be the Blitz ECU I have also.

OK so I found somewhere to practise tonight and hey presto I did one!

I feel like I did when I was seven and just learned how to do skids on my tomahawk:d

What I did differently:

1. Less brake pedal pressure

2. Less throttle and less quickly

3. Used a road that wasn't so grippy

Still getting the strange up and down rev thing sometimes though?

Still getting the strange up and down rev thing sometimes though?

thats what my old one did you tried holding to say 3k revs and would drop off and go back up and drop off and back up

new tc and everything was fine.

they have a high failure rate on supra forums