The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Water temps with FMIC

Phil

There is some talk on the main list of Paul Whiffins water temps being very high (on trackdays) and the possibility that his APEXi FMIC is blocking air flow to the water radiator.

Can anyone comment about the HKS Type S FMIC?

Also, his power steering cooler has been removed by the fitment of the FMIC - is this the same for the HKS?

Should be getting mine soon and this is the first 'negative press' I've seen for FMIC's so I'm a little concerned.

he's using the Apexi unit

http://www.apexi-usa.com/graphics/pImgLeft_intake_gtintercooler2.jpg

which has very large central fins, Its not a design I have seen elsewhere so I wonder if perhaps it slows the air flow too much. The HKS is the normal type with standard cross members and fins. It also comes with a different PAS cooling pipe which is smaller than the stock one but should still be sufficient.

The one place that airflow does seem to go is out the gap at the top of the FMIC and radiator area, but just how much its difficult to say.

I would say the HKS FMICs will be fine on most cars, remember theres some serious HP cars out there running HKS R-type FMICs and I think they are running the same PAS cooling pipe as the S-type.

JB

Phil, I can categorically assure you there is absolutely no negative issues surrounding the HKS FMIC, cooling or otherwise.

One of the reasons why I always recommend particular HKS components is I know absolutely that they will work. And the HKS FMIC is an aftermarket component I can readily recommend. Though I do think the replacement power-steering cooling pipe was someone's idea of a joke. :) And so too, I reckon, was the stock offering... half a mile of twisted pipe that goes all over the place.

The Honda PAS cooler on the BB2 Prelude is a much better unit. Same basic idea as the HKS long narrow "U" shaped pipe but the Honda one has circular fins, about 3cm in diameter, spaced evenly along its length. Not sure how much it costs from Honda. But it'll be an arm and a leg knowing them. However, it does seem to be the case that the power steering continues to function effectively regardless.

As for the overheating, with the electric fan conversion we found the fans would only operate at idle and when in very slow moving traffic. Above about 10mph the fans would not operate at all, even at sustained full throttle. The engine temp. would stay normal throughout. So there is more than adequate air-flow through the water radiator with the forward movement of the car. That's with my HKS FMIC fitted which is the thicker, higher-power one.  

Yours,

J