The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Spraying Tips

Shovels

Hi Guys,

I've just done some work on my Peugeot 306 and I need to spray a couple of small areas.

I've prepped the area by filling and sanding down. I'm going to spray first with a primer, but when it comes to spraying the colour I know I should do thin coates, but should I rub down with wet and dry inbetween?

Same with the laquer, is it ok to sand with wet and dry if I fluff up a coat - or will it just go dull?

I sprayed a couple of things before and I can never seem to get a shiney finish.

Any tips???

Just take your time, get the surface as clean and as smooth as poss, paint wise yes very thin lights coats, if you rub them down between coats be very gentle or you will take off what you just put on. Laquer again thin coats but leave them to dry totally before putting the next one on. Never rubbed down laquer coats myself, so not sure if you can or not.!

finish off your sanding with 120 grit paper, then apply even coats of primer,using a black or dark coloured aerosol lightly spray over the primer as a guide coat. using 800 grit wet and dry wet flat the primer with the paper and a flatting block (your hands are not flat) dry off and spirit wipe clean. if you are blending the colour and not doing a whole panel use scotchbrite and rub around the area were you want to blend. spirit wipe again and mask off ready to spray. spirit wipe again and apply light but even coats until covered.

hope this helps

Dave :-)