The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Test Drive or No Test Drive?

VIL

Unfortunately time is drawing ever closer to me having to at some point put my beloved Supra up for sale.

My question is do I let people test drive her? I had a friend who allowed someone to test drive his GT4, 1/2 a mile into it the nobber booted it and went up the arse end of another car. As he was not insured to drive it so it got very messy and ended up with my mate losing wads of cash!

For people who have sold Supras before whats the best way to go about a test drive? My initial feelings are to drive it myself so they get a feel for it but not actually let them drive. However, I dont know as if I would buy a car myself without test driving it!!!!

Dilemma, help!!!!

This was discussed a few months ago and I think the general consensus was that you should not let anyone test drive unless they pre-arrange comprehensive insurance.

I would make it clear to the buyer that all test drives will be conducted by yourself, if they want to test drive the car themselves they need to get it arrange with their insurance and provide proof of insurance on the day.

Okay, its not a £50k car, but as we all know they can be a handful if you are inexperienced.

Good luck with the sale

However, I dont know as if I would buy a car myself without test driving it!!!!

me either! I think you have to go with personal judgement, i don't know of anyone who has sorted out fully comp insurance for test driving other peoples cars, i know i've certainly not had it when i've been looking and people have let me out. I think if the potential buyer looks around it and spends time asking about its history etc etc, then you get an idea he's not just here to rag the car. So then after a while suggest that you take him out in it, show him what its like etc..... if the vibe still good and he's still keen and you feel happy about it then after a while suggest he has a go, it could be a deal sealer..............but if your not happy at any stage you don't have too obviously.

Guest lotus49

I would never buy a car unless I could drive it myself. OTOH I would never let anyone else drive my car (not even a good friend) unless I knew for sure that they had cover.

No-one wants to buy a quick car and then drive around like a granny in a Nissan Micra so they are going to give it some stick. Consequently there is a reasonable chance they might prang it and you'd have to be mad to let them drive it without insurance. You'd also be mad to take their word for it - see an original cover note before you let them get in it.

Vil, I bought mine after a passenger test drive. The previous owner showed me everything I needed to know about the car with a thorough demonstration, and I had no doubt that it was going to be a safe sale. As Homer and Scooter said, use your judgement and state the facts on the ad to avoid disappointment.

Good luck buddy!

This is always a tricky one. I've always let people test drive my cars when selling and never asked for proof of insurance. I've also never bought a car without thrashing it to death first and I'm not insured.

But saying all that my previous cars weren't as fast or expensive as my Sup. To be perfectly honest I don't know what I'd do when selling!

I guess you'd have to insist on proof of insurance, but a lot of people would find this a hassle and you could lose potential sales. Guess that's better than someone crashing your Sup tho.