The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Getting rid of the Supra

whitesupratt

I have just had my alignment done AGAIN, 2nd time in 2 weeks, just driven it home about 20mins from the place that did it, now its out again. Im sick of it to be honest, so it can just go I think! :banghead:

iv added a pic below, not very clear, but showing how bad it got in 2 weeks! and todays results.

alignment again.jpg

its the third place, they all keeping sorting it, and it drives like a dream...then suddenly the steering just goes of center again, I cant believe it just did it as soon as the drive home!

Im just so so frustrated with it, it hadnt been right now for months, im losing patience rapidly! no one seems to know why it goes out!

hmmm sounds like you need to get under there and check for worn / damaged parts.

Did they replace the rack after the crash repair? somethings probably been damaged and not replaced.

Don't give up, it's all fixable, but find the fault, fix it then get the alignment done, not the other way round or you will be throwing good money after bad...

ill have to fix it, but im just fed up with the problems...i don't know where to start looking for things it would be. I have the use of a ramp, but wouldnt know what could be causing it, or what im looking for!

I keep spending all my money putting things right, instead of doing the things i want!

well there are only a limited number of things it can be, one thing you can do, get the car jacked up, get a crow bar, gently lever various parts of the suspension looking for play. Something might just be loose, something might be worn, e.g. ball joints, bushes, track rod ends... check all nuts are tight, I'd seriously check bushes and ball joints first, bushes get totally worn / disintegrated and can cause funny stuff like this...

When the alignment is done, i would assume the car is lifted on a ramp and the suspension is alowed to "hang". Maybe after 20 miles on the road everything settles back into (the wrong) place.

edit: When you say "the alignment is done" what do you mean?, Are they just adjusting the track rod ends, if so then this will only mask the real problem.

Full computer geometry, see my picture on the first page. caster, camber, toe. The car is driven onto a ramp.The suspension isnt left to hang, the wheels are on plates that swivel.

This is the standard alignment, computer alignment set up. im lost as to what it i, and the fact no one out of all the knowleadge of people on here knows, confuses me even more...

If the allignment is going out so quickly then you have another problem not related to the suspension settings themselves.

Which parts have you replaced? track rod ends, ball joints, bushes, etc.

If I were in your situation I'd invest four or five hundred and get the car to someone who REALLY knows their way round the Supra suspension. Chris Wilson is the obvious choice.

I havent replaced anything other than a front wishbone (brand new). I don't have four or five hundred kicking around, although I know chris is the obvious choice. its a case of having the money and getting there. he's knowhere near me.

The baffling thing is its goin out so quickly

I dont think is the people who are doing the alignment, like u say, it ovbiously a weak link somehwhere.

Mine is and has been acting up for some time and its been wrecking my head.

Take it to Chris. At least you are on the same island as him

I would have done but its almost 2 days journey to get to him from dublin, and back again. And I havent ruled it out yet...........

If you are even half a days drive away it would be worth it.

john

How can you tell if a bush etc is worn or not? I can tell thats its alignment, because the steering keeps going about 45 degress rund to the left, and the car feels unstable. but as soon as alignment is done, its fine for a very short time, then goes back to be wrong!

I'd have thought if the steering wheel moves out of line by 45 degrees after youve had it aligned then you have a major problem with something and it needs sorting asap,,

the problem could also be at the back end of the car but i'd def be getting it on a ramp somewhere to have a serious look.

regards

dunk