The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Alloy wheel advice... BKRACING 993 in gun metal..

cookci

thinking of getting some BK racing BK993 8.5 + 9.5 18" rims...

can anyone give me some advice?

I have a few worries about buying a set of 18" rims. Can anyone set me straight?

-Will they worsen the acceleration of my car? i.e. heavier than the standard 16" rims?

-is it possible to fit tyres that will prevent the rim touching the kerb?

-will the ride be teath shattering?

Have been offered a brand new set for £760

any recomendations?

:search:

can anyone give me some advice?

I have a few worries about buying a set of 18" rims. Can anyone set me straight?

-Will they worsen the acceleration of my car? i.e. heavier than the standard 16" rims?

-is it possible to fit tyres that will prevent the rim touching the kerb?

-will the ride be teath shattering?

any recomendations?

I cant see you noticing any change in acceleration , its a supra not a fiat panda ! :D

You can get tyres with rim protectors yes .

Ride should be fine too

On those width wheels you could fit 255 front & 275 rear , they'll bulge out a little and give you some protection.

Best not to fit too narrow a tyre as the rim will be more exposed.

The Goodyear GSD3 and some other tyres have rim protectors- a rubber ridge which helps a little.

The ride will be fine, 18" I would say is the most popular size.

any recomendations?

Is that price including tyres????

To be fair I quite like the look of the rims....a friend in the trade said BK Racing are OK.....worse are Mania wheels apparently as they are very poor in quality.

are they likely to be heavier than the standard rims? remember i am in a pooey nasp which needs all the help it can get lol :)

having trouble finding some racing harts

Yes they'll probably be quite a bit heavier compared to the stock 16's, which are very good quality forged aluminium. You will feel the difference of the heavier wheels, especially on an NA.

Personally if I had a budget of around £800 (including tyres), I would not buy new, as any wheel/tyre combnation this cheap (a decent 18" tyre alone is going to be over £100 a corner new), will be poor quality IMO. If it was me I would buy second hand and get a good quality brand, with the correct offset. Your best bet could be to get some standard Supra 17" wheels.

Also it'd be a good idea to make sure that any wheels you do buy, are able to fit over the larger 4pot Supra front calipers. You must only have the 2 pot calipers on yours at the moment, buying the right wheels will give you the option of upgrading to the larger 4 pot Supra brakes in future.

I had A Corsa in today with new BK racing wheels on. The owner had bought these as a package deal and wanted me just to torque the wheel nuts up correctly. However when I looked at the tyres (directional) the car had two on the wrong way round:blink: . I then explained to the two occupants about offsets, rolling radius, incorrect speedo readings, poor handling, and the weight of the wheels. Anyway they did look cheap and nasty when compared to the more upmarket brands.

HTH

Rich

spoke to BK racing and they told me the lip was made out of stainless steel so there gonna weigh a ton.

on the lookout now for some standard uk 17's i think and having them refurbed in black.

Unless any of these lightweight wheels your offering nic are under a grand for 18's... black... and very light :)

Unless any of these lightweight wheels your offering nic are under a grand for 18's... black... and very light :)

How about a set of Weds SA-70's in black chrome, lightweight and superb quality, I have these on my car (see garage), see details [thread=58176]HERE[/thread]

http://img146.imageshack.us/img146/2441/sa7018100rrblc7bw.jpg

http://img146.imageshack.us/img146/7076/dsc064040vr.jpg

considered painting them black also. Thats my fallback plan.

Those Weds SA-70's in black chrome are some of the nicest wheels ive ever seen. Can you do an overall price with tyres? Or would i have to get my own. TBH i think they are still going to be too expensive.

The bronze version price is ok, its just i need black

p.s. is it likely these are going to be lighter then the standard 16's?

Cookci, those black weds are simply absolutely friggin sexy! I'm waiting for a set from Nic. God damn i love seeing that pic, it makes my whole day seem worth getting up for.

You would be better off getting your own tyres from here. When it comes to wheels you need to set yourself some kind of budget, you know when you find the right wheels as you instantly stop umming and arring about it, even if it means going very slightly over your budget it will be worth it, otherwise every time your stand back and look at your car you will think, damn! if only id spent that little bit more and got what i really wanted.

I know i will have no regrest when i get those puppies fitted :)