The mkiv Supra Owners Club

How Much Do I Pay??

terribleturner

Well it's either a built upgraded box or go with a conversion. Im just trying to weigh the prices up at the momment.

Im selling for around £2500 for a full conversion kit (ecu, prop, pedal box, Everything really). I guess the box itself is going to be near a grand. But saying that there was a brand new tricked up one on ebay a few months back that came from the lexus racing team unused for £4500!

Autobox from Vortex is £2000, fitting say £400 and im not sure if that's including shipping. If not that's probably £7/800 as it goes to and back from Texas. Not sure what it will take but Kean has one on his 9 second daily drive ( which i belive is now in the 8's), So should be able to hold everything i throw at it :D

Isnt the top spec BL auotbox only a 3 speed?

A manual conversion requires a LOT of parts some of which need buying new, ie. clutch, bearings, sub tunnel which adds to the cost.

I am just starting to strip my car for the conversion, its a lot of work.

so approx 3k for an auto box that will hold up in a 9s car? Must admit for that level of power/performance that doesn't sound expensive at all. Have you managed to work out the manual conversion costs? Sounds like all the parts may end up costing similar / bit less but it must be a lot of work to fit, as JohnK says, if your paying someone to do it all, can't be a cheap job.

I read the other day all manuals come with LSD standard, not all autos do - is that right?

i did exactly the same, weighed up the differences between built auto and 6spd conversion. ive decided on the 6spd and will be starting it in a couple of weeks. the BL box price includes shipping costs to/from the US iirc

what was the deciding factor LeeT?

Woa, the site is backwards!

damn april fools lol

i've had the auto for nearly three years and fancied a change. i got a good deal on box,diff,prop,driveshafts,lightened flywheel and HKS twin plate. all for £850. ive now got all the pedals so just need a few bolts and connectors and im ready for just over a grand:)

also a big thanks to Darren Adams who let me have a UK spec ECU for next to nothing and gave me a free pilot bearing. i couldnt be more indebted for that. me thinks i owe him some beer

wow that's seriously cheap for the kit, that makes a big difference to the choice. I wonder how many man-hours the changeover job is? I'm a big fan of the manual, but if I had an auto and liked it, even I'd find it hard to justify the swap over, hats off to you for taking on the challenge! :) Keep us posted on your conversion progress, good luck with it!

wow that's seriously cheap for the kit, that makes a big difference to the choice. I wonder how many man-hours the changeover job is? I'm a big fan of the manual, but if I had an auto and liked it, even I'd find it hard to justify the swap over, hats off to you for taking on the challenge! :) Keep us posted on your conversion progress, good luck with it!

Im hoping to get this done over the long easter weekend. The only thing i can see holding me up is if ive over looked something and forgotten to order it. The actual job looks straight forward enough. then i can finally get my single tuned onthe rllers just in time for the france trip:D