The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Fading red...back to life?

Guest Supersonic

Guest Supersonic

Hiya y'all...

Its my first post after being a quiet lurker for a few weeks, so just saying

hello and hope to join you all in Soop-ownership soon!

Well..have been casting my eyes around, as you do, and apart from picking

my price and spec, am now coming down to a basic colour choice, and its

going to be red, then black in that order of preference.

But....as is well discussed here, the Red does sort of fade away to a not so

wonderful reddy pinky shade if its not been well looked after and waxed in

its life so my question to some of you red owners is, can a faded car be

brought back to a glowing red, or is a quick spray 'flashover' really the way

to go?

How much did it cost you?

Regards

Steve

You should be able to bring any faded paintwork back to a first class shine with a lot of elbow grease using firstly T-Cut or similar cutting compound, then a good polish/wax. The T-Cut if used correctly will cut through to the paintwork underneath, then you need to give the car a good polish. Use plenty of clean soft rags, starting a new one when the old one is soiled.

Personally I would advice against an all in one T-Cut and polish, and instead go for separate cut and polish.

A bodyshop will do this for you but it will be a lot more expensive than spending the time doing it yourself

Or, get it professionally machine polished, then dyna-glazed! This'll set you back no more than £100, and seals the shine in nice n deep! (I used to be a valeter!)

Better than £1500, and anyone who knows my car will tell you its a nice deep red! Then.... just keep on top of it after that!

Do the entire 5 stage treatment with the meguiars products on each panel at a time, including, claying with detailer, body scrub, polish and a mirror finish wax. An entire car takes about 6-8 hours to do properly. It will leave the paint as smooth as glass and an incredible deep shine. I can guarantee mine had never received any treatment like that until i did it last summer, it came up beautiful, and stays that way even with basic washes for months. As soon as the good weather arrives i will be doing mine again ready for this summer.

A little O/T .. Is the Toyota Red much the same as other manufacturers Red ?

Reason I ask, I have had 3 Toyota's in Red, Mk1 MR2, MK2 MR2 and a UK GT4 Carlos Sainz and ALL suffered badly with fading despite contant cleaning, polishing etc... wheras my Dad who's got a Hiundi Coupe thing, in Red, has looked mint for the last 3 years and he hardly touches it ?

Strange 'appenings :)

Shaun.

Or, get it professionally machine polished, then dyna-glazed! This'll set you back no more than £100, and seals the shine in nice n deep! (I used to be a valeter!)

Better than £1500, and anyone who knows my car will tell you its a nice deep red! Then.... just keep on top of it after that!

Matt, is this done all over the place? Thinking about getting it done if its only a tonner

A mate of mine was given a very old Celica in Red/Pink. The colour was very faded. He spent an afternoon with rubbing compund and then a very good polish and wax and it came out a lovely deep red. He the sold it on for 700 quid. Not a bad profit i thought. Obviously it means loosing the top layer of paint but it did come out a lovely colour.

i did it myself. Its a 3 stage kit that locks in the shine and protects against salt etc!

Any good valeter can do this for you if you know of any, but you can buy the kits direct from Autoglym etc. Takes a good half a day, but its well worth taking the time, plus, water just falls off the car after its done!:D

My red UK has not suffered to badly at all with regards to fading, but I feel this is more to do with the fact it's got clearcoat on (lacquer), I'm sure this is standard finish because I have 2 touch ups one red and ones a clear coat from Mr toyota...Therefore you can't really T-cut the lacquer lol..

cheers Jon