The mkiv Supra Owners Club

how long before you boost?

ardasaliah

Guest Flat4_ire
Just intrested how long it is once you fire your supra up that you make any positive boost. I wait about 5mins- I may let it creap to 0.1 bar after 5mins but no more. WOT after 10mins:D .

ArdZ

u may let it creep to .1 bar? lol oooh the engine will blow at .2bar man!!

i wudnt rev mine over 3k until shes warmed up

ok my dads next door naibour has a chav for a son who in his wisdom bought a Fiat uno turbo (god a shed with a turbo!) and decided in his wisdom he would rev the crap out of it before he went on his way until one morning there was a very unhappy turbo that was rather melted, moral of the story good things come to those who wait

2 days ! :p

Take it your a UK'er then :p .......

Until the temp gauge is nearly where it normally is. Didnt realise that the oil would take longer to heat then the water, would have thought being closer the the parts that generate heat that would heat quicker.......

u may let it creep to .1 bar? lol oooh the engine will blow at .2bar man!!

i wudnt rev mine over 3k until shes warmed up

Don't take the micky:p iam hurt weep I just care about my tubbies- not to worried about the engine as you said can take alot. wanted to know how ong people waited before BOOOOOOST

A few mins, I don't time it. I find the water gets up to temp really quickly compared to other cars, but it's best to wait a bit longer for the oil to catch up. It takes me a few mins to get to the sort of road where I'd fully boot it anyway lol.

Maybe oil temp guage is a good guage to add then...

My Integrale has an oil temp gauge as standard. I wait until that reads 60 C before giving it about 0.5Bar and then a minute or so later (next roundabout on ring road) I give it full boost (1.4Bar).

I do the same in the Supra assuming the oil is at about the same temp, even though they're different engines, I figure it's probably ok.

I accelerate at 0 Bar with OD off (engine pulls more vacuum so less risk of boosting) until the 'markers' set by the Integrale. I don't go on Revs

J :)

I wait till the oil temp is above 50c, that's usually about 10 mins of driving I guess.

Yep, it's all about oil temperature.

In the winter it may take 5-10 mins before it's up to operating temps and you can boost the crap out of it :D (hopefully the tyres will also have warmed up by then)

Mid-summer it could take a lot less, especially if the car was shut down a couple of hours ago

Oil takes long to drop in temp once it's up. Longer than coolant, anyway

In the winter remember that there will be a lot of watery crap in the oil (condensation for example) which won't evaporate until it reaches operating temps.

That crap is not known for it's lubricating properties, so take it easy.;)

1.4bar on an integrale, that's off the scale into no mans land, hope you have an aftermarket guage lol

No I don't, but I know my gauge over-reads (ie at 1.0Bar it actually reads 1.1) and it's a bit off the scale at full boost, running a 1.4 Bar chip, so maybe only hitting 1.3. When it's boosting properly there's no detonation. (not quite at 100% at the mo, but going to Goodwood on Saturday :D )

J