The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Clunky gearbox

Alex

My Manual 6 speed which has covered 75+K miles seems to clucnk into 1st and 2nd gear sometimes, especially 1st whilst standing still.

I just want to check that that's normal and not the sign of a knackered gearbox - I know they are pretty indestructable but I would put money on me buying a sh*gged one!  :)

Cheers All,

Alex

Mine's a 6-speed and get various clunks from it too.

I think it's just a characteristic of the Getrag 6-speed box and nothing to worry about.    

To be honest, the gearbox works better the faster you change gear.    When you're pressing on, it just slots great.

When you're taking it real easy in heavy traffic, you get the feeling the gearbox is telling you "I wasn't built for this stuff !"  

also a known issue (again nothing to worry about) is that the clutch damper springs rattle.    This is most noticeable at v.low speeds in 1st etc.  sounds horrible but apparently normal.   Here's a quote from www.mkiv.com   (www.mkiv.com/faq/faqtt.html) about it :

"3. my 6-speed transmission makes a rattling sound at low speeds – should i worry?

all supra 6-speeds seem to make that sound, which has been likened to shaking a bunch of ball bearings around in a coffee can. it is not a cause for alarm - all the 6-speeds make the sound. it is the flywheel damping springs rattling, not the design of the transmission dogs. if your transmission shifts smoothly and doesn't pop out of gear, don't worry about it. "

hope this helps.

cheers

thought so I knew it made noises by default just wanted to check the thunk/clunk into first was one of them.

I've tried the odd(?) full power get away launching in 1st gear and then going for second to get a good 0-60 sort of thing. Just basic kill eveything away from the lights type of getaway. It takes me up to a second to engange 2nd as it seems unwilling to go in when it knows it'll be doing 3-4K rpm when I drop the clutch. Am I supposed to keep the revs up high when I change gear to get it to slot in and give you that little extra push or do I need to spend more time matching the throttle to gear and speed of the car.

What's the key to lightening change in the manual Supra?

Cheers

Hmm.

It should go in smoothly almost whatever revs you've got on.    2000 rpm - 6500rpm.

It sure shouldn't be obstructive.   My 1st to 2nd change is a bit notchy and is the worst change on my box.    But it goes in fine - just a bit notchy if you don't pull it straight back.

My suspicion is that your clutch is not disengaging fully and this WOULD make it increasingly hard to engage a new gear.     Is it EVERY gear this is happening or just 1st to 2nd ?    

If i'm going for it, the box responds well to fairly brutal / fast use.    That's pretty much what is was designed for.

Is the clutch old ?

Yeah, whilst the 1st to second is very notchy (as Doughie says, 2nd is worst on the box), its never actually been obstructive.

I recently had a 'C' service at Toyota that included changing the gearbox oil, and my box was noticeably smoother after that. Maybe your fluids haven't been changed for a while?

Eric

This rattle noise - does anyone get it in neutral and 1st gear below about 1700rpm?  It sounds like a loose exhaust baffle plate, or more succinctly, a loose bit of metal rattling around...  Almost completely goes away when the car has warmed up.

The Getrag box is a fantastic bit of kit, hard as nails, but the tradeoff is the industrial nature of the beast.  The rattling will be worse when it's cold - as the box warms up (and it does!  Anyone noticed the heat coming from the centre console after a longish drive?!), the tolerances of the components decrease as they expand due to the heat, making them fit together more tightly and rattle around less.  That's just something I've thought about, not actually proven, but I think it makes sense!

Another technical post.  I must be ill.

-Ian

I don't know how old the clutch is or how high the fluid levels are so I' shall get it up on a ramp and check it out. I get no noticable slip from the clutch. Is there a degree of adjustment that can be made to the standard clutch?

Quote: from Ian C on 5:12 pm on July 9, 2001[br]This rattle noise - does anyone get it in neutral and 1st gear below about 1700rpm?  It sounds like a loose exhaust baffle plate, or more succinctly, a loose bit of metal rattling around...  Almost completely goes away when the car has warmed up.

Ian

I only get a rattle when its hot and when I sit still. Too much wind noise too hear it the rest of the time. LOL

Cheers,

Quote: from Alex Holdroyd on 5:27 pm on July 9, 2001[br]

Ian

I only get a rattle when its hot and when I sit still. Too much wind noise too hear it the rest of the time. LOL

Cheers,

Ho ho - you should hear the rattle as I back out of the garage when it's cold.  You don't half hear it then!  Reverberate, reverberate.

I just get that low down deep burble from the SuperDrager..... Have you every just lisented to that exhasut in a garage or other enclosed space.... It makes it all worth while............

P.S. don't do it for too long as you'll kill yourself! LOL

Think it works best when you back it in to the garage. As it has to bounce of the walls!

Cheers

I agree entirely about the rattle being worse in reverse.

Here's a little test :

With car in neutral, step out of the car (obviously the car needs to be stationary at this point...), listen carefully and switch ignition off.

You'll hear the rattle as the engine dies.

Now do exactly the same BUT this time switch the ignition off with the clutch pedal depressed (with one foot on the ground outside so you can hear it properly.

Result :  no rattle at all.

it's to do with the clutch / flywheel damper springs or something like that ....

You may want to look at tightening up the gear linkage, that has been known to solve problems.

Full disengagement of the clutch (is that a word?) helps, I'm a bit lazy and don't fully depress the clutch and the whole thing falls apart.

• 1 year later...

i'm getting a wierd high pitched sqeeking noise from mine when i press the clutch but don't press it all the way. Sometimes comes on when i pull away aswell. Anyone know what it is???

It's pi**ing me off now. It's quiet but annoying!

Iv'e took off the push rod and ball joint and cleaned it but still it's happening!

Good grief - you've brought to the fore a thread I stared on the 07-07-2001!!!

Surely it would have been faster to start your own than trawl throught quagmire for this one!! :)

Didn't you ask about the squeak in another thread??? Have you taken it to anyone more knowledgable? A squeak its pretty hard to diagnose on a BBS.

Ancient Thread of the Week...

.... like a Phoenix twas risen from the Ashes ......

sorry can't actually help much with the "weird squeak" issue. the Getrag boxes are quite clunky especially in 1st and 2nd, but are very tough boxes designed to handle big torque. I've never heard of an actual failure.

New gearboxes are a tad costly at about £6500 or something..... :eek:

I know Keith C has had a whine in 2nd gear (the car, not him).

Might as well get the 'box oil changed to see if that helps.

ONLY ONLY use Toyota V160 gear oil. thinks it needs 2 litres or so of it. changing oil has been known to sort out some funny noises etc.

Originally posted by Alex Holdroyd

Ian

Cheers,

It's almost certainly the dual mass flywheel rattling, not the gearbox, although a knacckered flywheel puts harmonics into the gear train making THAT rattle too, in some cases.