The mkiv Supra Owners Club

General Supra advice

Harris25

Hello, Just joined this site. Im 20 years old but have alwasy wanted a supra, promised myself i would have it before i was 30. I been looking at imported for like 5-8 G RZ TT`s. Is this a wise choice, or are there better models out there i should look for.

Also, is there any worries i should look out for with supra`s, is there any parts that are prone to damage and i need to check before i buy.

Any advice welcome, thankyou

Will i have to use optimax or higher? or will octane 97 do? I thought the higher octane fuel just made a better combustion in your cylinders so it reduced the "knocking" affect. I have seen quite a few posts on here with it affecting performance is this true?

2nd post first, as its easier :D

Will i have to use optimax or higher? or will octane 97 do?

Use the highest octane you can get. Japanese imported Supras (J-Spec)were originally designed to run on 100 RON (octane)

I thought the higher octane fuel just made a better combustion in your cylinders so it reduced the "knocking" affect. I have seen quite a few posts on here with it affecting performance is this true?

:banghead: Well, yeah, it does affect the combustion and reduce knocking, and believe me, you don't want it knocking! Luckily because, at least thankfully, the ECU has "some" intelligence, it retards the ignition to prevent damage caused by knocking. A trade off of this, is reduced power.

Short answer, just stick the super unleaded of your choice in it. and you'll be OK

Hello, Just joined this site. Im 20 years old but have alwasy wanted a supra, promised myself i would have it before i was 30. I been looking at imported for like 5-8 G RZ TT`s. Is this a wise choice, or are there better models out there i should look for.

If by "5-8G RZ TT's" you mean RZ model Supras (all RZs are TTs) for £5-8000, without knowing more about the cars, its very difficult to give a worthwhile opinion on whether they are any good or not. That seems to be the price that "some" of them are selling for these days.

Contact Jurgen on this site (JM Imports) http://www.jm-imports.co.uk/ for buying advice. Lots of members have bought through him and all seem to be very happy.

As for the models basic choice is between auto/manual and TT or N/A most of the rest of the differences are just trim variations

THIS is where you should start.

Also, is there any worries i should look out for with supra`s, is there any parts that are prone to damage and i need to check before i buy.

Any advice welcome, thankyou

There is nothing particularly prone to failure on Supras, just do the usual checks; turbos, engine, gearbox, accident damage etc.

Good luck with your search, but FFS change your login, you're making me hungry :D

I been looking at imported for like 5-8 G RZ TT`s.

There are several different spec Supra's out there, and hundreds of threads on each one. Try doing some searches or alternatively check out the various articles in this FAQ section:

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=69

This will answer most of your questions. Get researching, thats what I did, and well worth it when you come to look at prospective purchases....

All Supra's make superb cars, and depending on your budget, you should be able to pick up a half decent TT for 8k no problem. You may see the odd one for 5k, but as they say, you pay your monies.....

Good luck.

Nick

Guest Flat4_ire
2nd post first, as its easier :D

Use the highest octane you can get. Japanese imported Supras (J-Spec)were originally designed to run on 100 RON (octane)

:banghead: Well, yeah, it does affect the combustion and reduce knocking, and believe me, you don't want it knocking! Luckily because, at least thankfully, the ECU has "some" intelligence, it retards the ignition to prevent damage caused by knocking. A trade off of this, is reduced power.

Short answer, just stick the super unleaded of your choice in it. and you'll be OK

so they had 100ron in japan 13yrs ago???

• 2 weeks later...

i got some quotes, the forecast is not v good.

i can get a quote of 1700 for a UK model but its like 3500 for an import :( anyone know any good companys to try? and why is it so much for an import boooo!

If i could get a UK should i get one? or should i hold out for the jap and let the insurance go down for a year?

if i was you i'd let the insurance go down for a couple of years longer at least, build up some more NCB and save a little more for the car in the first place.

if you stretch your finances all you need is one big bill and you're stuffed.

don't want to shatter your dream or anything mate but that's just what i'd do.

Supes are very reliable but when they do go wrong it's a good idea to think of it as a Supercar!! You must get the best of everything for it and most people upgrade anyway - it IS expensive to keep one, make sure you're ready or it'll be an unhappy union and nothing like the dream. :(

• 3 years later...