The mkiv Supra Owners Club

MOT - LED rear fog light, will pass ok?

chilli

My MOT is due soon. I think I can get it through de-catted with my local friendly garage (fingers crossed) but I want everything else to be ok so as not to take the p1ss. Everything else is good to go as far as I know. The only thing being the rear fog light. Mine is a j-spec and it has the single fog conversion in the RHS clear reverse light. I know I could do the dual conversion but to be honest I hardly ever use it anyway so it's not worth the bother. Thing is, when I got it, it had a red coloured bulb and it managed to pass the MOT. Now the bulb has faded and looks more pink / white. So, my question, can I use one of these on that side instead as a better replacement?

http://www.ultraleds.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=44&products_id=1070&osCsid=e7927c5dc

Will it do the job and pass the MOT? I assume the reverse lights are single fillimant / contact - just wanted to check...

I think you might have trouble fitting that bulb mate, as from memory looking at mine, the bulbs are not shaped like that. They are flat blade bulbs, single filament. You might be able to tweak that bulb to fit, but how easy that is Im not sure.

I struggled for so long trying to get a red bulb for my reverse light, that I ended up doing the full fog conversion. Well worth it in the end as now I have both reverse lights back.

Nick

I think you might have trouble fitting that bulb mate, as from memory looking at mine, the bulbs are not shaped like that. They are flat blade bulbs, single filament. You might be able to tweak that bulb to fit, but how easy that is Im not sure.

I struggled for so long trying to get a red bulb for my reverse light, that I ended up doing the full fog conversion. Well worth it in the end as now I have both reverse lights back.

Nick

Depends if you have early or facelift rear lights (you have the facelift ones right Nick?), as they use different bulbs. I think from memory the early rear lights use baynet fitment like these.

I had a very friendly MOT tester when I passed my MOT back end of last yr. I have no fog light at all, and he just advised me to get one asap but passed it no probs. So I guess it depends on who's doing the test, and how busy they are, and I guess if they can be arsed to do the extra paperwork!

Thanks for all the help guys, think I'll have a chat to them first then and see if I can get away just painting the bulb first since I don't use it. Failing that, if it's pre face lift I'll get the LED bulb, otherwise I'll do the fog conversion.

So, what sort of paint do you use, is there special bulb paint?

daft question number two, I thought I had pre face lift lights, now I'm not sure anymore, whats the easiest way to tell?

cheers :)

Depends if you have early or facelift rear lights (you have the facelift ones right Nick?), as they use different bulbs. I think from memory the early rear lights use baynet fitment like these.

Hey thanks Nic - didnt realise there was a difference. ;) And yes I have the facelift!!

daft question number two, I thought I had pre face lift lights, now I'm not sure anymore, whats the easiest way to tell?

cheers :)

The facelift lights have a grey cut out cover over the top of them, whereas the pre-facelift dont. If that makes sense!??!! :search:

Nick