The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Replacement - Front Jap Discs

Alex

I was wondering if anyone knows where I can source some Drilled and grooved discs for a Jap spec MKIV TT. I managed to get some for my old Rover 214 so there must be some for the Supra/GS300? I miss the fluttering noise of the grooves!! Yes silly I know!!!! Still it ammused me and that's all I really care about. Oh and it improved the braking performance by 50% just because the dust and gas could escape.

Also I've heard of people using the LS400's brakes was that someone on here? If so can you get some of the above spec discs for the LS400 and are they a significant improvement over the GS300/Jap MKIV?

I'd avoid drilled discs if I were you, most of them are just drilled for cosmetic purposes and even the AP ones like Christian's have cracked.

There is a Bentwaters thread about this somewhere and I wouldn't go anywhere near them now.

or just take a look in the events section for bentwaters..infact I can probably find the picture...

here is it

http://www.btinternet.com/~branners/members/events/bw2001/mvc-643f_small.jpg

and

http://www.btinternet.com/~branners/members/events/bw2001/mvc-645f_small.jpg

Ok I'm feeling that you're against cross drilled so do you guy's know who make s the best discs for the Jap spec TT? Grooved if possible but now I'm not fussy.

I know I can upgrade the brakes to better ones but that's another project, as I might be getting cheap AP Racing Brakes which were destined for an Lotus Esprit as OEM equipment.

Cheers Guy's

Yeah here's a text quote from the TDI site about the ACTUAL brakes on Christian's car (ex-Pete Dawson) :

". To fill these out, a full Brembo brake kit was also added giving fade-free stoppage even under track use."

I did smile when i read that cos Christian said they only lasted a few laps before they faded !!!!   so ARE they Brembo or not ?? anyone know for sure ?

I'm confused about what people are asking here.

Are you wanting to know whether the brake-disc in the picture is a Brembo? And whether the brakes fitted to the ex-Phil Dawson car are Brembo?

If so, the brake-disc in the pic is not a Brembo front. They look to me like stock discs that have been drilled.

The brakes currently fitted to the ex-Dawson car are AP 6-pots. Which are basically the equivalent to the Brembo 4-pots. And yes, despite what the self-appointed "experts" advertise, they *will* fade after hard track use, AP or Brembo, unless additional cooling and higher temp pads are fitted.

Yours,

J