The mkiv Supra Owners Club

FTO Rev counter not reading.

how_supra

My tip box was behaving very strangely yesterday. It was dropping down from 4th to 2nd for no reason what so ever. But after a few hundred yards it seem to sort itself out!

Yesterday evening on the way home from James' my Rev counter was not working at all, although it was driving perfectly normally.

Now today, on route to the gym, again no rev counter, I drove in manual mode which didn't cause too many problems. But as I left the gym and headed towards Halfords this time in auto mode, the revs were bouncing between 0 and 1500 rpm [not normal], and the car felt like it was hesitating, and sort of jumping and my engine management warning light flashed on.

Anyway on the way back from Halfords, it was fine, rev counter reading right, gears changing correctly, no hesitation and no warning lights

Confused I'm hoping some can shed some lights on this for me :(

My thoughts are

ECU problem - perhaps a reset will sort it out??

Speed sensor is dirty, or needs replacing

Torque converter

Any other suggestions??

Hi Sabrina,

Sounds like a faulty speed sensor in the gearbox.

Give mark at eurospec a call he should be able to diagnose it.

Id give an ecu reset a go first though.

Edit: although before you do that, see if you can get any error codes out of it first.

Were off to see Mark in a few hours. Is really odd. Drove it home last night and when it worked it was fine, but when it didn't it was scary. Pulled out to overtake and then the power went and i was just sat there waiting for something to happen :cry:

(Still need to sort the video Ian, i got it out but still havn't got my arse in gear. I promise that now i am unemployed i will get it done asap :D)

oh no my secrets out! :D

yea just picked up an 2000 reg 1.6 A3 for a cheap(er) runabout for a year while i save up for a house deposit. Ill pick up another Supra after that (although this time with racelogic TC me thinks)

Nice little car actually, only 40,000 miles and a nice suede interior :)

http://www.laserlines.com/supra/a3.jpg

Ian you wont believe it but the bloke who picked my car up today to take to Turbofit said he picked up a Silver Supra after it had had a crash with a Polo just down the road :D

:D small world

atleast he would have know what he was doing with yours then, although mine didn't have a front end :)

• 2 weeks later...

I had similar problems on my FTO. There are 2 speed sensors on top of the gearbox, one input one output. Check the multiplugs for both, mine had melted on one of them. The other thing is, there is a big grey multiplug on the front of the gearbox, the previous owner had steam cleaned the engine bay which forced water in past the seals for the plug and rusted all the pins. Got a new loom from the breakers yard and all was good. I never had a problem with rev counter though. I would put it down to a bad connection on the dial cluster, there is one of them silly plastic floppy paper circuit boards on the back of the instrument cluster, the multiplugs may not be getting a clean contact with the circuit board.

Sabrina finally got this sorted after replacing nearly ALL the sensors on the car, ecu and upgrading to a GTO fuel pump. I'm probably wong (and i have asked and been told loads of times now) but i think it was the Ignition sensor, which of course was the last thing touched :rolleyes: Just been out driving it while Sab's away and it's all back to normal :clap:

Yep it was all down to my IFS. All sorted now, with new fuel pump and leads etc, the car is running better than ever.

It was odd, because he was adament that it was a completely seperate issue [my rev counter not working], but apparently it would seem that it can in some cases cause problems with hesitation. So now we know...........