The mkiv Supra Owners Club

RLTC problem. Causes stalling!

RedM

When RLTC is on OFF position, turning it back to any other setting cuts power to the car! All other positions work fine. Wet to dry to wet to 10% etc.

Any ideas?

Also, green RL light flashes on 20% and OFF settings. Could this be related?

Hi the LED sounds fine its showing how fast you are revving

Its on page 22 of the RLTC manual

The car cutting out is NOT correct however, I have the digital adjuster whereas yours is the older type but it shouldn`t make any difference.

Possibly a loose connection if your RLTC had moved.

:search:

Could this also be caused by the unit not being calibrated properly?

I think I did two things wrong during the calibration process.

1. I don't think I was going fast for it to get the full signal.

2. I calibrated it with the unit set to OFF!

Will head to Asda after they shut and recalibrate.

Its interesting the word "calibration" I think its probally the wrong word.

"Wheel ABS sensor Identification process" is what it really means,

Envy would have done this for you when they installed it, after its been "calibrated" the settings are stored permanently inside the RLTC memory, it is possible that the rotary switch has got a worn/faulty contact inside which is causing this malfunction when you move its position. I`m not sure how you could test this switch apart from substituting one from a system that was working properly, try contacting Mike Broadbent at Racelogic on Monday ?

I found a thread by Matt Harwood which interestingly revealed that he had an identical problem with the wire going to that inline fuseholder, he cut his off and installed a new fuseholder.

My RLTC unit is tucked behind the carpet under the centre console in the passenger side so it can`t move as the wires on my harness were long enough to allow it to go there, I put bubblewrap around it to protect it.:search:

Have you logged a support call? All support issues now resolved so expect an answer within 24 hrs.

Mr. W has emailed re: my previous support call and we are now dealing with the stalling issue. Fingers crossed.

Do you (or anyone else) know if it is possible to have the unit looked at/mended/calibrated at Racelogic's place? I'm very open to having the unit dealt with the people that know it best.

Mr. W has emailed re: my previous support call and we are now dealing with the stalling issue. Fingers crossed.

Do you (or anyone else) know if it is possible to have the unit looked at/mended/calibrated at Racelogic's place? I'm very open to having the unit dealt with the people that know it best.

Yes Mike will sort that out for you, but they will charge you the install fee again, but it will be the best job you can get.

Martin,

Do you think they would need to start from scratch or would they just diagnose the problems and sort them out.

I think the fitting is okay apart from the placement of the unit by the ecu (unsecured and left to move about) although if that has caused damage to the witing I guess they'd need to replace the looms.

Would they charge for any damaged items or just the work needed to correct them. Obviously, I don't want to be too out of pocket.

Where RaceLogic units have proved faulty, which is very rare, they will take the unit back buy post for checking,it will be repaired FOC or replaced if found faulty.

I wonder if the 12V live came into contact with anying else RLTC related, as you say it was not happening until after this event.

If an install is done according to RL's recommendations. You can simply unplug it and put it back to stock. To check that the car runs OK.

Phil, Steve.

No idea what's happened to it.

I'm going to start from scratch today. Will do a calibration run then put in a fresh dat file. If the cut-out still occurs (incidentally, it didn't last night and I was so happy I tried it again. Then it cut out!) then I will ask my mechanic friend to check the electrics.

Getting a bit pissed off with it TBH. It was working fine up until saturday and, had it been secured right, I think it would still be working right.

I don't know if it was installed in a way that means I can remove it while it gets replaced. I'm assuming it was and that I can. Either way I'll either have to do without it or spend more dosh getting it fixed. I bet I'll end up losing the money I saved from the group buy. Ho hum... supras... grumble... fart...

From the RLTC Connector A (page 28 in the RLTC manual) follow the wires from Terminals 8,9,10,21,22,23 which should be in one bunch and see if they terminate in a WHITE plug near the car ECU at the top of the passenger compartment. If they do you can always disconnect from the RLTC here and reconnect the cars electrics. If NO plug then its been put in permanent and you`re stuffed. I did my own installation and it was tricky but anyone who`s done it once should be OK.:eyebrows:

Access to the ECU is not difficult just a few panels to remove. The white plugs are obvious, I am pretty sure it will have been fixed that way. I am alos pretty sure that the car will run fine if you bypass the RL unit

RL does have some settings which at preset at the factory that the dat will not change. If these have been scrambled by a voltage surge, then the only way is to send it back to RL. They do a very quick turn round.

I did my own install, my unit is not fixed it is just heat wrapped and behind the carpet, never had any issues with it moving.

I would advise, putting car back to stock loom, via connector, it runs OK contact RL and get them to take it in for checking.

The car actually does run okay. That isn't the issue. The problem is that turning RL on from the OFF position cuts the engine.

If I leave it on any other setting it runs fine too although at the moment it is not properly calibrated.

• 1 month later...

UPDATE:

All is well now and I'm fully traction controlled.

A big thanks to Envy for sorting out a replacement unit. Even though it did mean a trip from Leeds to Newcastle for about thirty minutes at their place. Franchise outlets? :D

Took the new unit/car out to allocate the wheel settings this morning and all went well. Came back to find the wheel settings were picked up in exactly the same way as when I allocated them manually. I love it when things happen correctly!

All that's needed now is a bit rain which can't be far away as it's a Bank Holiday weekend. :rolleyes: