The mkiv Supra Owners Club

j spec or uk

D8MOA

sorry all did a quick search but nothing

really want no what makes people pick j specs over uk's and vica versa!

heard some people say j specs are quicker and eaiser to tune etc? this really cant be the case can it?

i no the uks are a bit more ££ to but but thay are cheaper to insure! and the uk comes with the 17's bigger breaks,full leather etc sorry if its been asked many times:innocent:

good link nice to no the diffrences and what was a extra and standerd but wana no peoples preferences in why thay want a j spec over the uk? are the j specs really that much better! ive been looking for ages at uk cars and havnt really looked at a import! but time is ticking for the summer and i havnt got 1, so ime going to start looking at j-specs! just wonderd if it was worth me still hunting for a uk car?

Depends what you want mate. UK is heavier as it has more ceature comforts (compared to the RZ models) that you don't really need.

Main thing is they have a firmer suspension and ceramic turbos that spool quicker but are maybe more prone to blowing. Other reason is that an import will most likely have less miles and have seen less salt on the roads.

I went for a UK because of the cheaper insurance but more importantly i found a stock car in pristine condition which was a good base for what i wanted to do (shame it was white though :D )

It's cheaper to get more BHP out of a j-spec too as decatting leads to a boost rise (that needs controlling via a restrictor ring) as the JDM as a smaller wastegate. You need a boost controller to raise boost on a UK. The UK comes with bigger injectors and brakes as standard, "better" fuel pump too.

Just do a search mate, come up A LOT of times :D

All depends on what you're happy with really. Yeah uk's have better brakes, and turbos that arent made of cheese, but i guess you have to drive both to feel the comparisons for yourself. Some describe uk's as 'fast' and j specs as 'quick', which you'l understand if you drive both. Getting hold of good uk's is like trying to get hold of jordans breasts though.

I think for a lot of people the biggest factor for going JSpec is that low mileage UK cars are incredibly difficult to locate.

if you look around you can find JSpec with the optional bigger brakes, the leather seats and Cruise control.

I was worried about the ceramic turbos, but tbh I think they are strong enough up to BPU (touch wood).

Pretty much any other difference between UK and JSpec can be overcome by modification, (European shocks, Bigger brakes, Heated seats, Headlamp washers) Only the insurance can't be changed.

Mike

Guest Cuthbert

Laddie, this really is a simple one. Buy the best supra you can find, be it Jspec or ukspec. The difference in spec is minimal & the difference in insurance will seem like pennies once you start spending on maintenance & modifications.

Laddie, this really is a simple one. Buy the best supra you can find, be it Jspec or ukspec. The difference in spec is minimal & the difference in insurance will seem like pennies once you start spending on maintenance & modifications.

Maintenance costs high new one on me you must have bought a shitter then

Guest Cuthbert
Maintenance costs high new one on me you must have bought a shitter then

A car that cost ~£40,000 brand new (60k in todays money?) has maintenance costs to acompany that price. You wait 'till your's has 136k on the clock laddie, your wallet will commit suicide. Mine's on it's second coming.

Getting back on topic........

I have just hand a complete engine rebuild (adds condersending bit here "laddie") :) purely my fault fact is if you buy a Supra which has been well maintained the cost are not that high. Yes you can soend alot on modding but this is through choice. All my car has cost me excluding rebuild is tyres and oil changes

The great thing with the UK Spec car .. is the insurance. You get screwed by paying an additional premium - with the J-Specs.

Having said that - a real mint low-mileage UK Spec are like gold-dust. And especially a standard one ... if you can find one. Then be prepared with a hefty price tag.

I think JohnK - bought a UK Spec with 40K miles on it. And it's only got 67K on it now. They are out there ... you've just got to be prepared to wait along time and be very patient.

That's why people buy the J-Specs. It easier to find a low-mileage J-Spec than a low-mileage UK car.

A few years ago I'd been in a tatty (really tired inside and the bay was not much better) JSpecTT that according to the salesman had only done 2K miles per year.

He might have been dodgier than average, looked like he had just got out of prison.

And I didn't exactly have any sign on my forehead saying 'sucker'.

But it goes to show.

Would he have still tried to pull such an obvious stunt with a UKSpec?

Answers on a postcard

The great thing with the UK Spec car .. is the insurance. You get screwed by paying an additional premium - with the J-Specs.

Having said that - a real mint low-mileage UK Spec are like gold-dust. And especially a standard one ... if you can find one. Then be prepared with a hefty price tag.

I think JohnK - bought a UK Spec with 40K miles on it. And it's only got 67K on it now. They are out there ... you've just got to be prepared to wait along time and be very patient.

That's why people buy the J-Specs. It easier to find a low-mileage J-Spec than a low-mileage UK car.

31k miles when I got it, 60k now, with lots of history to prove it, the car was seviced to Toyotas time schedule not mileage!

One point to note on insurance, if you plan to heavily modify the car the gap between UK and J-spec insurances costs more or less closes.

Also J-specs, I heard a few horror stories recently of dealers who know feck all about supras winding the boost right up and telling people its safe. If you look at a car with non standard boost check what it peeks at, more than ~1.2 walk away!

Maintenance costs are indeed extremely high. How's about nearly £300 for a lower control arm (wishbone). £40 from EB Spares for an Alfa Romeo. £250 each for front shocks (stock UK ones). £200 for crank damper pulley. £20/day petrol.

Oh yeah, and I agree on the JSpec/Mileage issue. Although you will find most J-Specs have lower mileage, for some strange reason, a lot of them are in absolutely disgraceful condition compared to 'good/average condition' UK cars.

You've just got to look for the best car you can find, regardless of Jap/UK spec.

ask chris wilson which he prefers lol

send him a email,he will put you on the right track.i just bought first supra i seen did not know difference between jap and uk.was just a 35k mile stock facelift supra.if you going for one get the auto n/a version as they faster than a tt version and they weigh 1000kg and do 55mpg.its a true light weight race spec version a bit like the scoby ra rally spec.

Guest Cuthbert
I have just hand a complete engine rebuild (adds condersending bit here "laddie")

Well, I've just had a new(ish) block & head refurb, that aint cheap. Something I really don't think could have been foreseen. You don't know what your baked beens taste like until you open the tin & cook 'em.

Sorry, not meant to be condesending, 'lad' & 'laddie' are common terms where I work, a bit like 'mate'. No insult intended. It must be just a Blandford thing.

Anyways, my point was, the difference between models once you start modifying are so small, it's best IMO to just find the best example you can.