The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Front Strut Brace

mrpug106

Mines, HKS, TRD, Blitz, Cusco all do good quality Strut braces all in different styles. Do a search on G*ogle or something like that and find the one you like then try to source it in the UK or US.

As for the difference they make - i would say on a stock car with stock suspension it would be negligable as the chassis is good enough to cope but start adding more power and you'll definately need one to keep the Chassis rigid and the supension aligned whilst excecuting high speed cornering and changing direction generally.

You can also buy Rear strut braces and in car braces which fit in front of the rear seats. They are mainly used on Aero's in an appempt to stiffen them up.

Strut braces of the kind you normally see are for looks only I'm afraid. I have the TRD one which does look as if it were designed to brace something. But even that I have doubts. Cannot say I noticed any difference, before and after.

Remember that the MKIV was designed to be a powerful car from the ground up. I can imagine making a case for the fitment of a strut brace on a car that had Macpherson strut suspension, and you were tuning it way beyond what the original designers had in mind. Say, you wanted to fit some turbo lump in a Vauxhall Nova, or such like.

However, not only was the MKIV to be a powerful car from the outset, the design of the front suspension, being of a double wishbone type, is such that the major lateral forces are transmitted into the lower crossmember. This crossmember has triangulated strengthening members linked to a further smaller crossmember behind the main one. Each crossmember is bolted directly to the chassis-legs.

The support rigidity of the whole front suspension is, therefore, provided by the front lower subframes. The actual strut-turrets are there merely to provide a mounting face for the shock-absorber upper mount.

At the point where the subframes affix, the strength of the chassis-legs has been beefed up *considerably*. In fact, where the main crossmember attaches, the chassis-leg is a *triple* box-section. Each of these sections are formed from 2mm thick steel.

So, as I say, if you do want to fit a strut-brace then I wouldn't bother trying to balance looks against strength. Simply buy the one you thing looks the best.

Yours,

J

Very good point. It's not just some, but ALL strut braces are technically incompatible with the UK car. Not so much the bonnet, but the ducting from the pod.

Yours,

J

Ok I am beginning to get the hang of this.

Lets see, Strut braces look pretty and dump valves go Woosh!

To you sir  £500 the lot!

MMMMMMM......

Race Logic TC , less spin, less slip, more grip, more power on the road,  more fun, safer car.

To you sir  £SHOP!!

Tough one:o

Hey yeah - weld up the doors, take out the door windows, call yourself Luke (or Bo) and jump in through the window.     By doing that your car will instantly be able to jump 120metres no problem, & land without being damaged in any way.    Good way to get past traffic i'd say.

maybe you could make a TV show !