The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Wahoo!.....but

Harps

I just got me a Supe! Black TT Aero, and its beautiful. Spent ages looking at it (and others) to make sure it was all good, and it certainly looked it. Had a great time driving it the 50 miles home (other than briefly losing the back end in the wet and seeing how dirty it got on a relatively short journey!).

However, about 2 miles from home, the red '!' warning light came on. No other lights illuminate and theres no difference to the performance.

If I switch the engine off, it clears it until I push the car again. I'm praying its something minor! :(

I would be grinning like an idiot, but I'm a tad concerned!

If you can make the light go off again after pushing it and come back on when you push again I'd check the brake fluid level.

Even if it's at the top you still might not have enough. Search for brake fluid level warning light and you'll see what I mean.

Got any pics?

its probably just the same mine was doing,

when i went above 60-70mph the warning light came on and stayed on, turn engine off and it was fine.

i previously had a active spoiler on the front of my car, and a aftermarket kit was fitted when i bought mine.

go see if your warning light comes on when you reach 60-70mph, the active spoiler wants to come on, if its that, nothing to worry about, simply remove the spoiler ecu, lol

welcome

pics

slam the bonnet down,mine has the same problem if i don`t slam it.

black supra:)

eeekk!!! be very careful, the metal is very soft on the bonnet and you could do a lot of damage if you keep slamming it down.

Lower the bonnet down but don't close it, apply gentle pressure to one edge and you should hear a click from the latch, try the same on the other side (yup 2 latches) if like mine one of them wasn't catching and just needed the rubber stoppers adjusted

Agree with others, likely culprits are either low brake fluid or active spoiler. The other common cause is a bad speedo conversion. If no other warning lights come on then it shouldn't be anything too serious.

If it is low brake fluid the warning light will usually come on under braking or acceleration. The sensor for teh fluid is very sensitive so even if the fluid is only slightly under the level it will illuminate, try topping it up just above teh level.

If it is the active spoiler, then the light will come on at a certain speed each time. Does your car have an after market front fitted and does it have an active spoiler button under the stereo? If yes try pressing the spoiler off button and then driving, the button will dissable the spoiler ecu, which shoudl mean the warning light no longer comes on.

If it is neither of the above then do the diagnostic check explained in the link above.

A quick thanks for all the opinions guys. Went for a drive on Sunday, with the active spoiler off, and no warning light! So I'm guessing that is the culprit.

Picking the car back up later today as its having its alarm fitted, if the weather stays good I'll get some pictures up later today.

I wasn't intending to buy one just yet, however I know how rare TT Aero's are, and this one was just too good to miss. I had a mechanic look it over and it all seems good! :D

Thanks again!

Harpsy

Maybe not too good to miss. Just got the car back, had a little ride out and pushed it up to 65-70, and not only did the "!" warning light pop up, but the engine light on the right read-out.

My first thought was that it might be something to do with just having the alarm fitted, as it didn't happen on Sunday when I drove it. Does that sound likely?

Once again, re-starting the engine cleared it, and it wasn't till I accelerated to that speed again that the lights showed up.

I think I'd better get someone to check it :(

Hi

Can you read the code - use search "reading error codes by Mawby" -it will tell you what caused the engine lite to come on and how to read it - code 42 anyone; probably all related to poor speed convertor.

someone else more technically able :D will be along shortly

Cheers bud, I've done a load of searches on the site, and I'm 99% sure its a dodgy speed conversion. I'll check the error code tonight to make sure, but I'm getting the warning lights, the cruise control wont sit at the speed I tell it to, and the second turbo & gear changes could run a little smoother.

If that is the case, I'll see if I can find somewhere local to do it.

Thanks for your help (and those who replied to older threads about the same problem, I really *really* should learn to search first!)

Hi Harps

Welcome to the club mate....

From what you are describing I would say that this is a faulty speedo converter. Its exactly the same symptons I had on my car and once fitted with a new converter resolved the problem.

If it was your spoiler, I think the problem could be checked by simply pulling the spoiler fuse out. That way, if you go for a drive and it still comes on, the warning is pointing to something else.

Like I say though mate, the symptons suggest to me a faulty speedo converter....

Nick