The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Lexus LF-A is GO

Alex

http://www.pistonheads.com/news/default.asp?storyId=13441

"It looks as if Toyota Racing will produce the Lexus LF-A supercar concept, first previewed here on PistonHeads – see related story link below. It's due by 2008, according to Autocar, and will make its production debut at the Tokyo Motor Show in October 2007.

The two-seater supercar is powered by what Lexus at the time called "a high-output V10 engine" and was first previewed at the Tokyo Motor Show last year. Since then, the reaction to it has been so positive that the Japanese car maker was persuaded to put it into production.

To be called the GT500, and likely to house the 500bhp 5.0-litre V10 that was in the concept, it will, at last, provide a suitable vessel into which Toyota can pour its hard- and expensively-won F1 expertise. There may also be a V8 version – the GT450 costing some £75,000 while the GT500 is likely to lighten your wallet by a whisker under £100,000.

Autocar reckons that Honda's announcement of the new NSX last year was the prod it needed to turn this concept into reality."

I quite like it, it grows on me each time I see it. Shame it's not a new Supra, maybe if it were badged Toyota instead of lexus we'd be looking at prices of £75k and £50k which would be much better. Hopefully this can form the basis of the next supra?

The LF-A is a technical tour-de-force...it will 100K's worth of gadgets and probably will out run anything short of a Ferrari 599GTB.

I only saw photo's of the 599GTB the other day, I'm loving it. :)

They won't make another Supra named car - Toyota or Lexus (they're the same BTW). The Supra didn't get to where it deserved to, because there was no herritage, it's a Toyota so it can't be a supercar. They want out of that - Lexus have a reputation for making good luxury cars, with the LF-A it'll be more like a good well known company moving into sports because of the Toyota F1 team, and should get more recognition.

I think they will make another Supra to cover the middle market (350z to Boxter range), but obviously you will get far more for your money.. Toyota make cars. They are not going to leave any of the market untouched and as you say the Toyota F1 team has gained more credibility for the Toyota (not Lexus) name that didn't exist when the original Supra came out.

And what about the pics of the MkV or whatever it has been designated? It doesn't look like a concept car, but a fully decided road car....

They won't make another Supra named car - Toyota or Lexus (they're the same BTW). The Supra didn't get to where it deserved to, because there was no herritage, it's a Toyota so it can't be a supercar. They want out of that - Lexus have a reputation for making good luxury cars, with the LF-A it'll be more like a good well known company moving into sports because of the Toyota F1 team, and should get more recognition.

I agree with you nobody would pay the best part of 100 k for a Toyota badge would they ?

But would be nice to see a supra as well, and that as said would cover the other basis and compete with their rivals.