The mkiv Supra Owners Club

HKS SLD (Auto)

Paul Booth

Super efficient as always, SHOP! has delivered my HKS bits. However, I don't read Japanese.

Now I have sent a scanned copy to a Japanese friend in New Jersey but I'm not sure how quickly she'll get back to me.

My Japanese friends in Tokyo's English isn't so good and I'd worry about their translation when connecting up the large number of wires on the SLD.

Being middle management distance from the Honda factory in Swindon, we have a number of Honda's ex-pat managers living in the surrounding district and whose children attend the same school as mine; however they're on summer break.

It would help me immensely if someone has already installed the auto SLD kit or, better yet, already has the English version.

Paul.......

I think there isn't an "english version" as such. Apart from a few typed sheets with a manual SLD, I've never actually received any English instructions with *any* of the HKS products I've bought in the UK.

Yours,

J

Thanks Ash.  I guess I'm going to have to lean on my friend in NJ.

I maybe know one route to a local translation. One of the Japanese Honda managers is V friendly with one of my wife's friends. I'll try that devious route.

I'm guessing, if I do get this done, there's some interest in the output.

Folks

In my department at work is a young lady who lived in Japan for about 3 or 4 years and speak good Japanese.

she's been away for a few days but I think she's back in the office on Tuesday.

If you still need anything translated then fax or email it through to me and i'll see what she can do.

email me at [email protected] if required.

sayonara

Doughie-san

Matt............

It is possible to fit the unit without having the instructions translated. But I guess it would probably make fitting easier, and there is the peace of mind aspect, if English instructions were to hand.

I suppose it would be too easy for HKS to have a website where one could download English instructions. Like the Apexi website for example.

To my mind, it's patently absurd.

If you went to B&Q and bought a piece of flat-pack furniture that was made in China and, when you opened it, out popped the instructions all written in Cantonese you'd think someone was on a wind-up. Imagine going to a filling station selling fuel coming from the middle east and all the instructions on the pump were in Arabic.

You'd think it were plain stupid.

Just about everything I ever buy, like a new kettle, or a vacuum cleaner, etc., comes with detailed English insructions, and often in about six other languages as well.

I feel it's yet another example of how, due to lack of any real competition, HKS can get away with it.

Yours,

J  

Quote: from Ash on 8:53 am on Aug. 25, 2001[br]

Matt............

It is possible to fit the unit without having the instructions translated. But I guess it would probably make fitting easier, and there is the peace of mind aspect, if English instructions were to hand.

Thanks J.......... I'm expecting instructions similar to the ones that came with the HKS FCD.......except theres more wires to hook up..

sound about right???

Obviously it would be gr8 2 get a copy in English.......... but I figured there must have been a few of these fitted using the japanese  destruction book.......

There are diagrams of the ECU pinouts and each of the wires coming out of the SLD are identified by way of a small plastic ring around them which has a letter printed on it. Well, apart from one of the wires that is (on mine at any rate). But I'm hoping that the offending wire will be identified by process of elimination.

Yours,

J

Quote: from Doughie on 10:05 pm on Aug. 24, 2001[br]

In my department at work is a young lady who lived in Japan for about 3 or 4 years and speak good Japanese.

I will be most interested to hear her reaction to being asked to translate written technical Japanese, assuming that is that she's not a native or has native parents, as it takes about 13 years to learn to read/write Japanese comprehensively. The best we could hope for is that it's written using the 'low' Japanese pictograms and not one of the higher sets.

One of the few things written in English says that the product is *not* to be used outside of Japan, ergo as it's not intended for installation outside of Japan, I guess they didn't see any need for an expensive multi-language translation.

Yes, as Paul has picked up on it I'll pile a bit more on...........

It always seemed weird about how HKS Europe are pushing products out to us, that HKS themselves clearly state are not suitable for use outside Japan. Hmm, I wonder if they make anything that is *specifically* made for the UK car where the instructions say "not for use outside Japan". :)

Yours,

J