The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Been on the rollers today!

Dash Rendar

Went to the Surrey Rolling Road this evening to find out how much extra bhp I've got for all my hard earned cash.

I made 315 at wheels. With estimated drivetrain losses on an auto of 25%, I make that ~420FWHP. Not bad I suppose... Nearly 100bhp more than I used to have when stock.

I do seem to be running a bit lean at medium revs, just when #2 comes on. From about 4000 to 5000 revs, my AFR rises to about 12.8. Then it drops again over 5000 revs at between 11.8 and 11.5.

I'm curious as to what could be causing this... Poor response by the FSE? I thought maybe the injectors were maxing out, but then I'd expect the AFR to high at max BHP, not in the middle of the graph. Hmmm.

In case anyone is interested, I also did a run with my Nur Spec removal silencer put back in. (I need it for the headaches!!) With the silencer, I was getting 305 bhp RWHP and hitting 1.1 bar intead of 1.2.

So: removal silencer = 10 bhp loss. Acceptable. :)

I take it that the aircon was off this time!!! :p

Now with all your mods and the hybrids , what can these be safely run at?

I ask because as you know, there have been some results posted up on stockers that have been a tad better than that (not much and not a dig mate) running at 1.2bar.

So the gist is, are they hybrids or are they just refurbed stockers?

Good results all the same :thumbs: :clap:

Hi mate,

As said above, my J-spec auto made 320 rwhp with a full decat, apexi induction and plugs which on the day was running at 1 bar.

I would have thought the results you got would have been a bit better, not trying to put you down or anything!

Have you got a copy of the graphs you could post up?

dash what happened about that guy on the motorbike that smashed into the side of you on a roundabout???

Nothing mate. No proof of blame either way, and minimal damage all round, so we decided to just drop it. Although that still leaves me with a nasty scratch on one of my spokes.

I take it that the aircon was off this time!!!

I never expected anyone to say that. :twak:

I suppose I'm gonna have to take that out of my sig now.

• 3 weeks later...
Went to the Surrey Rolling Road this evening to find out how much extra bhp I've got for all my hard earned cash.

I made 315 at wheels. With estimated drivetrain losses on an auto of 25%, I make that ~420FWHP. Not bad I suppose... Nearly 100bhp more than I used to have when stock.

I do seem to be running a bit lean at medium revs, just when #2 comes on. From about 4000 to 5000 revs, my AFR rises to about 12.8. Then it drops again over 5000 revs at between 11.8 and 11.5.

I'm curious as to what could be causing this... Poor response by the FSE? I thought maybe the injectors were maxing out, but then I'd expect the AFR to high at max BHP, not in the middle of the graph. Hmmm.

In case anyone is interested, I also did a run with my Nur Spec removal silencer put back in. (I need it for the headaches!!) With the silencer, I was getting 305 bhp RWHP and hitting 1.1 bar intead of 1.2.

So: removal silencer = 10 bhp loss. Acceptable. :)

How did you work out your fly figure, is that correct ? I made 380rhhp on hybrids and thought it was worked out to be 448fwhp, I know the way of working it out seems backwards at first or thats what I remember........

Well, assuming that drivetrain loss of 25% on an auto is a reasonably good guess, you then need to work 'backwards'. So, divide your RWHP figure by 0.75 (this is basically saying that the RWHP figure is 75% of the FW figure) to get the FWHP.

But in your case, the losses are less since you have a manual box. I've seen figures like 15% bandied about. So, 380/0.85 = 447. This is pretty close to the figure you quoted.

But in the end, RWHP is what really counts, and FWHP is what you talk about in the pub. :)

380 RWHP seems very strong for hybrids at 1.1 bar!!

I see, for some reason I thought 420 was close to 448, and couldnt understand how that could be when your wheel figure was a lot lower then mine, its called early mornings ;)

But as Bobbeh says my figure was a hub dyno..........

I wouldnt say 380rhhp is strong for hybrids considering I made 357 rhhp on stocks, seems to tie in right with peoples expectatoins of hybrids.......