The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Stalled No.1 Turbo

Alex

If I'm crusing along in 6th at about 3500rpm I seem to be able to stall turbo 1 and this is a bit worrying to say the least.

When I say its stalled the exhaust note suddenly lowers and the boost gauge drops down a notch. Unless I drop revs by depressing the clutch then the engine note does return to normal very easily. So the only thing I can think of is a stalled turbo.

I'm under the impression that if a turbo can be stalled it could be damaged (missing blades in the compressor or turbine, is that right?

I've also got a light oily deposit being fired out of the Dumpvalve, which I've not noticed before, could it be related? Or is that another thread.

Advice please/suggestions for other things to check..... please someone remove the sinking feeling that my Turbo's are screwed and I'm gunna face a BIG bill...............

Oil in the intake is a common thing with turbos that have oil-seals on their way out. Leave the car overnight, get a friend to start it, and you stand by the exhaust to see if there is any blue smoke. If so, then your turbo oil-seals are definitely shot. The cure is to have the turbos re-built.

As for the rest it's hard to say.

Yours,

J

It doesn't drop boost as such you see it happens at the switch over between turbo 1 and 2 at about 3500rpm. I'm not using any throttle so the boost gauge shows negative psi and drops further into neg. psi. does that make it clearer?

The SQV is 3 months old I would be suprised if it went wrong that quickly.

I still hit .85bar above 4000 rpm and .6 from 2000 to 3800rpm which is better than when I bought it.

I just started my engine having left it since 8:30am. Not even a whiff of blue smoke. But I'll try again in the morning.

Quote: from Paul Booth on 9:51 am on Aug. 29, 2001[br]

It'll be tonight now.

No it won't, sorry. I had to deal with my over-tired children and my overly distraught wife who was at the end of her tether.

The kids came out to 'help' me try re-wiring the sidelights and I'm now way too tired to start an hour's read/copy/email.

Dedpending on what time I get back from viewing a Pan European tomorrow night, I'll give it a shot then.