The mkiv Supra Owners Club

More power please

cainhead

Just wondering what peoples thought were on getting more power out of an n/a. I have done the double de cat and have a Apexi induction. I like that fact that so far the reliability has been good and would rather keep it that way.

So without going down the turbo conversion route, what would be the best(and most reliable way) of getting it up to say 300-320 bhp.

Tell me if im being ambitious!

All suggestions welcome.:thanks:

So without going down the turbo conversion route, what would be the best(and most reliable way) of getting it up to say 300-320 bhp.

Decat & induction will see you to 240bhp (crank). The way I see it you have 3 options:

1) Built bottom end, uprated valvetrain, cams, aftermarket ECU, throttle boddies, etc. Might get you 300bhp (will cost at least £4k, but will be the best sounding supra ever)

2) N02 - 50-75 shot will get your to 300bhp, but £50 of NOS for 120 seconds of extra power is not very good VFM

3) NA-T - should see you to 400bhp before you need to think about a new bottom end. (again £4k+)

Best bet is to flog it and get a TT, at least you can get to 400bhp for under a grand, and the skys the limit if you have an extra £4k spare.

nos was an option. Any ideas on cost of kit and how much to have it fitted.

I will go for a TT but in a few years when I have enough for a low mileage uk spec. I also dont have a spare 4k at the moment. So nos seems the quick fix. Any thoughts on how it might damage the car?

From what has been posted before a decent NO2 system will cost around the £800 mark to buy and install.

The only local person I know that had an NA with NO2 was Suprababe (slow dogs g/f). Might be worth having a word with him about it, I think the remains of her car are still in his yard so you might be able to get that kit off it on the cheap.

good work homer, I will ask him about that. I had spoken to slow dog a little while ago about it and he said his missus had it and that it worked well. I was just try to gauge some opinions on wheather its bad for the car.

Also insurance anyone know what you do and dont have to declare about nos.

Also insurance anyone know what you do and dont have to declare about nos.

Good point. This is one of the problems with NO2, almost no insurance company will touch it. Lets face it you're driving around with a bottle of compressed, highly explosive gas in your boot! In the eyes of the insurance companies, a slight rear end could = :bang:

Some other members have had problems insuring NOS cars on a private policy, most people have used trade insurance to get round it.

NA possible mods

X Herd header (removes first cat 1 claiming 18hp increase) Also gives a lovely sound!

De cat

Exhaust

Sports Filter for stock box

Cams

Lightened pulleys

Electric fans

Toms ECU

Throtle body relocation so gets cooler air

Ported and polished

Earthing kit for better response / pickup

Better spark plugs

uprated HT leads

lightened flywheel

uprated clutch

Lighter wheels (less mass to rotate)

LSD (put power down better)

Optimax and not 95 RON

Well theres some ideas. :D All those together i reckon would give you a good high number easily 270BHP as i know Mandys on here was up to 260BHP. But thats some parts working together to get that figure

Good point. This is one of the problems with NO2, almost no insurance company will touch it. Lets face it you're driving around with a bottle of compressed, highly explosive gas in your boot! In the eyes of the insurance companies, a slight rear end could = :bang:

Some other members have had problems insuring NOS cars on a private policy, most people have used trade insurance to get round it.

WHAT THEY ACTUALLY LET YOU USE IT ?????

God If i even mention it here Id be kicked out of the offices. :D

I will go for a TT but in a few years when I have enough for a low mileage uk spec.

Were these ever made? :whistle:

There were very few UK Supras sold and they are a 10+ year old car now, so the chances of finding a low mileage one, now or in a few years time, will be very slim to impossible.