The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Newbie needs advice

Guest Kev

Hi al, Ive only been a member on here for less than a week now.

Ive saved up the cash for my 1st supra. Ive been looking and seen a few I like, but Im not sure whether to get a n/a or a tt. does the twin turbo tend to have any problems with it generally. also i'll prob be get a j-spec manual. I know i'll prob have alot more fun in the tt.

thanks

defo go for the tt and then when you get bored you can go BPU( basic performance upgrade) giving you around the 400 bhp mark. then when you get board again you can go single turbo :bang: ! loads of serious fun, not to mention its a supercar killer....

"A SUPRA WITHOUT TURBOS IS LIKE A MAN WITHOUT TESTICALLS" it wasnt me who said that i just used the phrase lol:hide:

I've had mine for 3 years and not had any problems at all. In fact it's just passed it's mot for the 3rd year running without having to get anything fixed. All I've had to pay out for is a set of front brake pads which cost me about 75 quid (including labour). Get a TT you won't regret it!!

Kev,

search button is your friend, search under that criteria, drive both then decode for yourself, people drive what they like, i know TT drivers who love their car and some who prefer their N/A, its all about choice and what is right for you.

Do not let any body decide for you. You decide what YOU want, after trying both, check insurance fully and then take the plunge!

tom

BTW, before it gets said else where i am a NA driver!!

"A SUPRA WITHOUT TURBOS IS LIKE A MAN WITHOUT TESTICALLS" it wasnt me who said that i just used the phrase lol:hide:

Spoken like a TT driver, what a surprise wondered how long before it would be said rather than offering a choice!

There are plenty of traders on here to keep you going in spare parts!

Also, look in the for sale section as some one is always selling something, its a great club and we all get on well, even with the likes of Burt, and saying that where is Bill Prawn, he normally says something by now!

not at all fella.... you can even get any part you want from toyota... but wouldnt, there are plenty of traders on here to get you anything you need I.E Nic the import pimp and others alike..... like blokey says.. take both cars out for a test drive and see how you feel... both cars a very reliable, esp if you get a low mileage one.

Hey all, another n00b here. Didn't have the bottle to start me own thread :)

I've been looking around for an aero top for a while now, I'm sure it'll be powerful enough for me, though I'm not 100% sure if I want to go auto - but they look so good with the top's off! :cool:

Anyway, missed out on one at the weekend, having a look at a couple of others this weekend - anything I should particularly look out for when checking em over?

One of the one's I'm looking at looks lovely, but at almost £7k with 72000 miles on the clock, is that a bit pricey?

Cheers all!

Harps

Kev,

As already said mate don't let anybody else decide for you on whether to go for a TT or NA, test drive both then decide.

Although, I too had reservations over the TT due to reliability but these were toally unfounded. The TT is definitely one of the most reliable supercars money can buy and you really shouldn't worry about things going wrong. If the car has been looked after (as with all cars) then it'll be perfectly reliable. I test drove both the NA and TT and I'm glad to say I went with the TT, if you have the purchase budget for the TT then you should seriously consider that.

Harps,

That seems a tad pricey for an NA Aerotop (Not TT) if that's what you're on about. As for the Auto concern then i'm afraid all Aerotops are Auto, well RHD ones anyway.

Conalex, yep it is an NA Aerotop, so cheers for that I'll have to see if I can bargain with him (assuming its a good car of course!).

No worries that I can only get auto aerotops, its one of those trade-offs I guess. I have tested a manual NA Supra, but not an auto, so I'm hoping for the best when I do!

BTW, I used that search thing and found http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=23259

top post :D

Conalex is spot on :)

The reliability on both models is superb, especially when compared to other cars with this level of power. The NA is uber reliable, take a look at the tech section - there's almost never an NA owner posting there with problems.

If you're power hungry then the NA isn't the best choice, short of a single turbo conversion (£4k+) you can only get an extra 20-30 bhp. TT's on the other hand can easily reach 400bhp with only £800ish of mods.

The TT's cost about the same to run day-to-day, but when things go wrong they can be very expensive to fix. If you're looking at a modded one you really want to take someone who knows their Supra's with you, I'm sure a club member local to you would be able to help.

Have a look in the Cars for Sale section, lots of nice motors there - most of which will have been well cared for by an enthusiast!

Good luck with your searches :)