The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Lucky escape, perhaps a tyre lesson learned

Jiversteve

Drove from Somerset to Sussex yesterday.

As I started off I had a small vibration coming from the back of the car. Nothing below 60 leptons but got more noticable the faster I went and could not drive through it.

Hmmmm

Stopped and check over both rear tyres. Could not see anything amis, all looked ok. Felt around the side walls nothing found. No sign of weights missing.

Hmmmm

Drove rest of way home at a speed that made lots of Pug drivers very happy as they passed me. Went straight to local friendly tyre place and said can you check balance on rears, 265/35 ZR18 all round.

1st wheel off. Checked pressure, OK checked balance 15g out so stripped off all weights and started again and put wheel back on car.

2nd wheel off. Went straight to balance, way out, OK theres the problem!. Checked pressure, ZIP, NADA, NONE??? Only checked them all a couple of weeks ago all 30psi.

Hmmmm

What caused loss of pressure?? So we inflated the tyre to 30 psi put it down for a chat and it went BANG. 6" split in inside tyre wall and no possiblility of being sure what caused the loss of pressure. Wont be putting that back on the car.

Obviously no new tyres available got to wait 24 Hrs for delivery.

On the up side it did not go bang whilst driving, that could have been a lot, lot more expensive, not to mention dangerous, now just faced with the possibility of two new rears as the tread patterns will probably be different. So may try to sell one good tyre on ebay later, someone may want it as a spare for a track day as it has plenty of tread.

The car now looks a bit sad and silly. Skinny spare tyre now narrower than exhaust pipe and certainly not an alloy. I have had to park it so you cant see the difference from the street.

Lesson to be learned, Check tyre presures more often, and have a good look around at the same time.