The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Intercooler Question

GavinL

Guest Terry S

No, There is a school of thought which says that it will be more efficient as black dissipates heat better. Seems a shame to spoil a lovely ali intercooler though, & I have been doing charge temperature tests for approx. 6 Months now & with the HKS R type there is absolutely no problem. HTH

Paint it black and the general efficiency will increase. Okay, not by much but every little helps (as Tesco would say).

I no-longer look at the big list, but I suspect JF was talking about his EVO 5 and, when we considered the matter, we decided it would look better black in any event.

Which turned out to be correct as I just fitted it and it looks ace.

Also discovered he had a screwed wastegate actuator, which was leaking down the side of the actuator rod. It's funny, but I knew something wasn't quite right about that car, turbo-wise.

While I had the rad out and the front off, I thought I'd check the wastegate and it's screwed. Got a new one coming from Turbo Technics tomorrow morning. They are flipping ace that company when it come to pulling out the stops.

Okay, it was a bit much to ask that they have the correct part in stock. But they sorted an actuator which I shall mate to the stock bracket tomorrow in time for TRAX.

I haven't told him yet but he's also leaking brake fluid from the master cylinder. Fuc*king Sod's Law.  

Yours,

J

Thanks for the info, I only asked because I am having an "S" type fitted to my car next month and wanted to keep the stock look as much as possible.

The "S" type is zinc plated steel if I remember correctly so it doesn't look all shiny like the expensive types, not that I care about that sort of thing anyway.

Looks like you may be in for a long night Ash!

thanks...................

(Edited by GavinL at 7:41 pm on Aug. 31, 2001)

I'm making good progress and relieved that the actuator will arrive AM tomorrow.

The "S" type intercooler is ally but it's the pipes that are mild-steel and painted silver. As opposed to the "R" type where the intercooler *and* the pipes are ally.

HTH

Yours,

J

could you guys cut it any closer...!!! J's car having major repairs and Phil D having a FMIC fitted, and then me with my rear brakes.

btw, the disks are on now. Leon said that he was amazed I didnt kill myself with the state of the disks and pads. I will have the disk with me at Trax so everybody can see how badly it cracked. It seems to be heat related as all the seals in the calipers are shagged and the rear disk is basically tempered....

So new pads all round to replace the shagged ones.

JB

"Close" is my middle name JB. :biggrin:

BTW, young Matthew (my nephew who did the fetching and carrying to Leons) had a good look at Leon's car and all he talks about now are those boody great turbos!

Talk about making me feel inadequate... but he does say that my 20's still outrate Leons 19's.

LOL

Yours,

J

Leon did say he had to hand your nephews eye balls back to him after they fell out staring at his turbos. With the amount of work that has gone into that car its nice to see it get such a good reaction. I would need to see your car in the flesh to see how well the 20s work, I have to admit, they look 'less large' than I expected in the picture you sent me.

JB

Matt is a youngster who is really into cars and goes for all the bodykit stuff. The twin HKS turbos do look impressive (despite their flaws).

Yours,

J

I wonder if its the turbos that are really at fault or if its just the way the cars are tuned. I know Leons car really shifts and has some low down power but other twin and single setups do seem to lag about a bit.

The true test will come tomorrow when Leon gets on the track.

JB

The turbo system has some quite obvious flaws. HKS have built the kit to a price and it has been around for a while. Technology has moved-on since.

But you do have a strong point about the way the cars are tuned.

Simply slapping on a big single and running the stock ECU fuel and ignition map, and just stuffing in extra fuel at higher boost, is madness to my mind: to the point where I feel the owners of these machines are being ripped off. But people seem happy with them. They rationalise around the lag and seem to think the big kick-in-the-back they get, when the turbo finally wakes up, makes up for all the shortcomings. But it's not for me.  

If you are going to fit two humungous turbos, you need to develop cam profiles, ignition maps, fuelling, transmission, cylinder head flow, etc., all to suit the characteristics of those new turbos.  

It would be a very simple exercise to develop a twin kit. Turbo Dynamics are licensed to sell the Garret ball-bearing housings in the UK. They adapt these housings to take all sizes of relatively cheap turbine and compressor housings.

A full turbo would only cost about £1,200 and say about £1,000 for the manifold and other piping. That's a twin kit for £3,400 (there's no need for external wastegates). I'm surprised Leon hasn't done it already. Plus, the money saved over the cost of the HKS twin-kit would pay for a progammable ECU and some proper head work.

An aftermarket ECU is simple to program. There's no need for engine dynos and the like. Okay, it's nice if you happen to have one and a customer willing to pay thousands of pounds to set the whole thing up. But it's not really all that necessary. What most people fail to consider that even if you *do* use an engine dyno you *still* have to trim your settings to take account of real world conditions.  

I would have developed a kit myself but I'm not a great turbo fan... messy, 'orrible and laggy. I tried for about a year to develop an uprated sequential system but it ended up a case of too many pipes in too small a space.  

For a car that spends 99.9% of its time on the road, I think the true test is the standing-start quarter mile.

Yours,

J